Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
o_jay
Influencer
Liked: never

Unable to start services after database move

Post by o_jay »

Hi. I am running B&R 9.5 U3. I had installed with the default SQL Express instance but recently came into a problem with the database size exceeding 10GB so all my jobs started failing. I do have a very large weekly file to tape job but the rest is mainly VM replication and I only have about 10 VMs replicating.

After trying to change the retention settings right down to no avail I decided to move the DBs over to a SQL standard server I have.

So I went ahead and stopped all the services, detached the databases, copied the DB and log files over to the new server and attached the databases on my SQL 2016 standard server. I then used the VEEAM Configuration Database Connection tool to update the connection settings to the new server. I did that but for each DB (B&R and Enterprise Manager) and they both got all the green check marks looking like all was ok. When I clicked Next in both cases the tool attempts to start the relevant service but hangs until it times out 40 minutes later.

I read about giving NT Authority sysadmin rights to the database which I tried but it didn't help.

I am now stuck. Any ideas what I might have done wrong and how to get the services to start again?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Unable to start services after database move

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hey o_jay,

I think we would loose too much time trying to troubleshoot this over the forums. Please create a support call, post the case ID here (and the follow-up after investigation with our engineers).

That is going to be much quicker

Cheers
Mike
o_jay
Influencer

Post by o_jay »

Will update here once resolved
o_jay
Influencer

Post by o_jay »

So long story short I rebuilt my entire server and re-installed Veeam. Pointed to database already exported to and running on the new SQL server and it all connected up OK and services started. Had to re-enter my credentials and then the job worked.

Had an ongoing issue with the configuration backup but resolved that with help from support my deleting the old crypto key from the database. Configuration backup then worked.

All good, everything up and running again with more space for my DB to grow beyond 10GB now.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Thanks for letting us know the solution and happy to see that everything is working now!

Cheers
Mike