Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Gestinfo
Lurker
Liked: never

Network Throttle meanwhile Health Check

Post by Gestinfo »

Hello guys,

I have a line between my Windows backup server where Veeam B&R is installed and a NAS offsite(but in the same LAN) linked to this server via iSCSI
This line is used for Backup copy the night but i have people who are working on this site in the day.
The connection speed of this line is 100Mbps.

My problem is that i have a backup copy who wants to perform a File Health Check and the job is using 100% of the bandwidth.
So the users there are complaining about slow networking because the health check is performing in the working hours.

I have tried to apply a Network Traffic Rule with Throttling at 50Mbps but when i monitor the bandwidth the speed is at 100 Mbps

So my question is : Does the Network Throttling applies for Health Check too or only Backup copy jobs ?
And is it possible to perform Health Check off hour ?

Thanks a lot !

Corentin
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Network Throttle meanwhile Health Check

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Corentin and welcome to the community!

You cannot apply throttling rules on the Health check activities.
I'd recommend you to deploy Gateway server in the offsite location and change repository type to CIFS, so the line between sites will be free from unnecessary communication.
All communication during Health check will be local in the offsite between Gateway and CIFS repository. Thanks!
Gestinfo
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by Gestinfo »

Hi Dmitry, and thanks for your fast response.

So am i forced to change the repository type to CIFS ?
Cant i map my NAS via iSCSI on the Gateway server ?

Because the problem is that i dont have enough space to migrate the LUN away and copy it back to the NAS with CIFS.

Cant we just apply a time schedule for the health check ?

Corentin
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Post by DGrinev »

Gestinfo wrote:So am i forced to change the repository type to CIFS ?
Nope, you can use any Windows based server in the offsite to map NAS to it via iSCSI.
Then you should add and rescan this "new" repository in the Veeam infrastructure menu, also do not forget to remap the jobs to the existing backup chains.
Gestinfo wrote:Cant i map my NAS via iSCSI on the Gateway server ?
That would be pointless as Gateway server is needed specifically for CIFS shares.
Gestinfo wrote:Cant we just apply a time schedule for the health check
There is a built-in scheduler for the Health check, you can pick weekends to be sure it will be finished before the working hours. Thanks!
NickKulkarni
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Nicholas Kulkarni

Post by NickKulkarni »

Sorry to bump an old thread but I have a similar problem but internally
Health Check, because it can't be throttled, is saturating my 1Gbe connection to the ISCSI NAS we use as our primary repository. It is causing the Linux Proxy on the same host to show as not responding and Veeam One is emailing me nightly with multiple disconnection warnings
I have a opened a support Case # 05517718
Starting to pull my hair out on this. Don't want to disable the health checks but looking as if they are not sustainable.
NickKulkarni
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Nicholas Kulkarni

Post by NickKulkarni »

@gestinfo
Don't know if this will help you or anyone else with ESXi and an ISCSI initiated at the VM level.

Since I added custom TCP/IP stacks and a VMKernel to our vSwitch for the backup vlan, stability under healthcheck loads is a lot better.
I suspect, (any Network Hardware boys and girls out there feel free to comment) that the reason is two fold.

Under normal configuration the default TCP/IP stack is on the Management IP VLAN and therefore all other internal VM traffic gets a default route on the Management IP. Externally I suspect this meant the Switches which are layer 3 aware was being forced to bridge VLans and route between the Management LAN and Backup LAN for backup traffic. During healtcheck we would get Managment warnings for disconnected hosts as it saturated bandwidth.

The second reason I think it helps is something that Gostev confirmed after I questioned the comment of one of the support engineers as to why my network performance on throughput was way below theoretical maximums. ESXi has a bug in that adding a VMKernel to a vSwitch limits throughput to 45% of physical capacity inside ESXi.

So adding the VMK at the vSwitch level on my Backup LAN effectively throttles network throughput at the Hypervisor level. I have therefore also throttled my backup network in Veeam to a little below the 45% to hopefully acheive some headroom for control and reporting during backups.