Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
Calby
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Robin Johansson

Exclude attached VHDX?

Post by Calby »

Hi,
I have some VM's that runs with extra VHDX mounted as Harddrives (storage) in the VM guest OS (win2016).
And this "extra" harddrives I don't want to backup but I want to backup the VM without this "added storage/harddrive" I want to exclude that VHDX is that possible?
I'm hoping you understand what I mean.

For example, I have a VM with Win2016 as OS and that runs at a VHDX called "System_OS" but I have also attached a other VHDX called "extra_storage" and then in Win2016 I have mounted it as a harddrive so Win2016 thinks it's a harddrive.

And I want to backup this VM with Veeam, but I don't want to backup the "extra_storage" VHDX, so is it possible to exclude that one?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Exclude attached VHDX?

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Have you tried to exclude the disk from the job?

Thanks
Calby
Enthusiast
Full Name: Robin Johansson

Post by Calby »

PTide wrote:Hi,

Have you tried to exclude the disk from the job?

Thanks

Hi,
I have done that, I have checked the 0:0 box so it only backups the systemdrive.

But I still get this error message:
Production drive K:\ is getting low on free space (1,4 GB left), and may run out of free disk space completely due to open snapshots.
Error: Insufficient free disk space on production drive K:\.

And I don't get why I get this error as K: is excluded as I have choosen to only backup disk 0:0 the systemdrive.

I have also change the "Skip VM processing when free diskspace is below" 1% , I have changed it to 1%.

I can't shrink my VHDX at K: also I can't move it either as I don't have any HDD for the time bee.
How can I fix this?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

First of all, I'd double check if the system drive controller numbers are indeed 0:0. Also please check session log to see how many disks are actually being processed by the job (to make sure that exclusion actually works on any of the disks). If you find out that the number is correct, but the exclusion does not work, then you should contact our support team on that.

Thanks
bhottor
Novice

Post by bhottor »

Make sure the system drive control number is needed IDE 0:0 or Scsi 0:0. If you don't choose the right controller, you might still be grabbing the wrong drives you want to exclude!