Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
kaszast
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Tibor Kaszas

VM backup fails insufficient free disk space on datastore

Post by kaszast »

Hi

I am very new with Veeam. I have a shared datastore with 134.7GB free space. No snapshots, nothing requires consolidation but i can't backup a 16GB VM because Veeam fails with an error message "Processing SAFW01 Error: Skipping VM processing due to insufficient free disk space on datastore EQL LTVHOST-SHARED." Where can i find more details of this error because i have the free space. (Much more than required by this backup.)

Thanks.
kaszast
Novice
Full Name: Tibor Kaszas

Re: VM backup fails insufficient free disk space on datastor

Post by kaszast »

OMG... I found it, under the options, "Skip VM processing under the free space below..." I have 4% free only. :)
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Tibor and welcome to the community!

Yes, that's exactly the parameter you can try to lower in General Options -> Notifications -> Skip VM processing when free disk space below - 5% (by default) and check if you will be able to backup the VM. Thanks!
EssarCDN
Lurker

Post by EssarCDN »

is this possible with VBR 9.5 when you just have only free edition functionality enabled? i can't seem to find the option under general options..
DGrinev
Veteran

Post by DGrinev »

Hi and welcome to the community!

No, it's not possible in free version of the product. Thanks!
Calby
Enthusiast
Full Name: Robin Johansson

Post by Calby »

DGrinev wrote:Hi Tibor and welcome to the community!

Yes, that's exactly the parameter you can try to lower in General Options -> Notifications -> Skip VM processing when free disk space below - 5% (by default) and check if you will be able to backup the VM. Thanks!
This is a old thread I know it but I have stumbled on this also, so what exactly are this function?
Now I have almost my hole VM harddrive full only 1GB free of 3TB so I'll try this function but what is it?
DGrinev
Veteran

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Robin,

This function does not allow to perform backup jobs if the storage has lack of free space and you determine the lowest value of total capacity when it should be triggered. Thanks!
Calby
Enthusiast

Post by Calby »

I have lowerd it to 1% but I still can't do a backup.
Can I somehow turn it off?
As I have VHDX on the HDD's that takes all the space this is kind of a issue.
DGrinev
Veteran

Post by DGrinev »

Yes, you can leave "Skip VM processing when free disk space is below" unchecked, but what's the point if you have no free space on the storage?
What kind of error did you get when trying to start a backup job?
Sorry, but I was a bit confused by the last phrase about VHDX, can you elaborate what do you mean? Thanks!
Calby
Enthusiast

Post by Calby »

Ok, my issue are with Hyper-V I have a VM called storage that have two HDD's (VHDX) one with the system and the other one for storage, I have exclude the storage one.
But when I'm trying to run the backup it says that I have too low space on the storage one that I have excluded.

Production drive K:\ is getting low on free space (1,4 GB left), and may run out of free disk space completely due to open snapshots.
Error: Insufficient free disk space on production drive K:\.

On the driver K: I'm storing my storage that I have excluded from the backup job and as I have a Hyper-V It's a VHDX on the K: that are maxing the hole drive beside 1,4GB.

And I don't have any snapshots or anything.
So my quastion is, how much free space do I need? And to answer your quastion it's a point of backing a drive up even if it's almoste full right? K: are not the drive where I store my backups it's a storage drive.
DGrinev
Veteran

Post by DGrinev »

If I understand it right, your K: drive is the storage where the VM data files reside.
I assume you are using On-host backup mode, so when the backup initiated, Veeam B&R is trying to create snapshot at the K: drive and get an error due to lack of storage space.
I'd suggest you to contact the support team and let them take a closer look, as it's not possible to troubleshoot the issue through the forum discussion. Thanks!