Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
Ctek
Service Provider
Liked: 13 times

Multiple VBR servers that can backup same Hyper-V Cluster

Post by Ctek »

Hi,

I am facing a backup design challenge on our Hyper-V Environment. We have a large W2012R2 Hyper-V environment with multiple clusters with high cloud VM density, all managed by SCVMM. Our main VBR server manages most of the backups, but we would like to split the load to multiple VBR servers and using either a script that will manage which VM will be in which jobs/VBR server using SCVMM custom properties, or using SCVMM tags.

This could cause that 2+ VBR servers are taking backups on a single hyper-v cluster. My questions are:

-Will a CSV behave normally when there will be 2 Veeam VSS requestors on a single CSV work fine? In a case where 2 VM reside on the same CSV, each taken in backup by seperate VBR servers.
-Will Veeam agents on the Hyper-V server handle this correctly?

I want to test this rather soon but I am looking for prior experience on this matter.

Thanks.
VMCE
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Multiple VBR servers that can backup same Hyper-V Cluste

Post by veremin »

Before we dig deeper into this, may I know the reason why you've decided to split the load between two backup servers? Thanks.
jchaput@sherweb.com
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Jonathan Chaut

Post by jchaput@sherweb.com »

Hi, I have the same request.

The current backup server in Prod does backup jobs and replication jobs.
The current backup server connects to SCVMM in the Prod environnement but if the Prod site goes down I will not be able to do failover and failback with Veeam.

I want to be able to to do failover and failback in my DR site.
So I thought having an other Veeam backup server connected to clusters directly in my DR site.

Both servers may backup and replicate the same cluster/CSV at the same time.

For the customers having replication jobs, I could move the backup jobs on the DR Veeam server if required.

What do you think about it ?
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Jonathan and welcome to the community!

The recommended approach is to install a second instance of Veeam B&R server in the DR site and manage all your replication jobs from there, so in case of disaster at the production site you can initiate failover. Thanks!
jchaput@sherweb.com
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Jonathan Chaut

Post by jchaput@sherweb.com »

You can confirm that there will be no problem if both servers may backup and replicate the same cluster/CSV at the same time ?
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Post by DGrinev »

Hi,

You can use the Hyper-V cluster as source for two instances of Veeam B&R, but conflicts are expected if both servers will try to backup\replicate the same virtual machines at the same time.
You should keep that in mind and make schedule carefully to avoid those situations.
Also, it is very important to have the same version of the product installed on both sites or you will face the problem with different version of components. Thanks!
nmdange
Veteran
Liked: 142 times

Post by nmdange » 1 person likes this post

For Windows Server 2012 R2, the two Veeam servers will cause issues if they backup VMs on the same CSV at the same time as backup requires CSV snapshot, so it's not enough to just do different VMs. For Windows Server 2016, this is no longer required so you would simply have to make sure two backups don't run on the same VM simultaneously.