Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
raugustine
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Ryan Augustine

Feature request - Managed agent populate disks

Post by raugustine »

I just finished up with a ticket #02523800, where I had an issue with the recovery partition (non-NTFS) on an HP server running Windows Server 2016 causing the backup to fail. I had the agent (2.1.0.423) set up as managed by a B&R server (9.5u3), with a volume level backup configured, and only the C: partition set to be backed up. The backup job seemed to automatically add all of the system partitions (EFI and recovery), even though only C: was added to the list of volumes to be backed up inside of the managed agent backup job.

Running the job would always fail with:
Error: The device is not ready.
Asynchronous read operation failed
Failed to upload disk.
Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}.
Exception from server: The device is not ready.
Asynchronous read operation failed
Unable to retrieve next block transmission command. Number of already processed blocks: [0].
Failed to download disk.

The job would not complete successfully until I removed the agent from the B&R inventory, uninstalled the agent, then reinstalled it as unmanaged. Doing this allowed me to configure the backup from within the agent and uncheck the recovery partition. This allowed the backup to complete successfully, both to an external USB and a Veeam repository.

My feature request is for the B&R console to auto populate the volumes list from a managed agent the same way that the agent does when configuring backups. If this is not something easily done, the other option would be the ability to exclude system volumes from a backup.

Thank you for your consideration.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Feature request - Managed agent populate disks

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Ryan,

Thank you for sharing your case and explaining your feature request. We will discuss it with the team.