Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
EzE
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Eric H

New backup chain after restore

Post by EzE »

We are migrating VM's from a 2008R2 Hyper-V cluster to a 2016 cluster. The best/fastest method is to use VEEAM to backup/restore to the new cluster. I need to maintain the backup chains of my VM's within an existing copy job (GFS archive). I opened case # 02510788 and was advised if I restored the VM's and preserved the GUID that the backup chain would not start over. However, after further testing, this is not the case. I'm curious if anyone anyone can confirm that the backup chain should be maintained regardless of the location (as long as the GUID is the same)?

- VM is part of "standard backup job" which runs daily
- VM is part of "copy job GFS" which runs daily, and maintains GFS points Weekly, Monthly, Quarterly
- VM is restored to the new cluster, maintaining GUID
- VM is removed from the standard backup job, and added to a new job
- VM is re-added to the existing "copy job GFS"
- Veeam creates a new backup chain.

So the GUID is the same on the new cluster, but Veeam still starts a new backup chain. Is this just a technical limitation of moving the VM to a new cluster?

In case you are wondering, the reason I need to keep the backup chain is because the repository is a Windows NTFS running dedup. Starting new backup chains for every VM will cause a large influx of data (new blocks that can't be deduplicated)
nmdange
Veteran
Liked: 142 times

Re: New backup chain after restore

Post by nmdange »

If you are not using SCVMM, Veeam won't be able to track the VM as it moves between clusters.
EzE
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Eric H

Re: New backup chain after restore

Post by EzE »

Can you be more specific? We do use SCVMM. Are you referring to exporting an importing using SCVMM? What process can I follow to keep the backup chain consistent in the copy job?