Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
slsc0728
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Dragon Luk

HP StoreOnce Catalyst Cofc Slow

Post by slsc0728 »

Hi ALL,
I have using HP StoreOnce 5100 Catalyst Cofc using 8gb x2 FC. and 8gb FC LTO7 Tape Library
But I found the Backup speed only around 100-150MB/s and
100MB/s for archive the backup to tape.

Anyone know how to increase the read/write speed of StoreOnce Catalyst?

Thanks!
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: HP StoreOnce Catalyst Cofc Slow

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Dragon and welcome to the community!

Can you share the bottleneck stats, as it should help us to see the weakest link in the chain. Thanks!
slsc0728
Novice

Post by slsc0728 »

Hi DGrinev,
I am using Veeam 9.5U3 and HPE StoreOnce is 3.16.3

Backup Job bottleneck stats
1/15/2018 10:02:19 PM :: Hard disk 2 (3.8 TB) 2.5 TB read at 162 MB/s [CBT]
1/16/2018 2:37:36 AM :: Busy: Source 38% > Proxy 53% > Network 11% > Target 99%

Backup to Tape Job bottleneck stats
2.5TB VBK file need 7 hours to finish.
The Process rate only 108MB/s
2/17/2018 6:04:17 PM :: Busy: Source 96% > Proxy 20% > Network 13% > Target 30%

Thanks
DGrinev
Veteran

Post by DGrinev »

The bottleneck stats confirm the issue with the target storage speed, as 99% target means that the writer component spent most of the time performing I\O to backup files.
I'd recommend you to review the white paper "Veeam and Storeonce configuration guide", as it contains best practices. Thanks!
slsc0728
Novice

Post by slsc0728 »

I have follow up this guide to setup storeonce .
But the speed is slow .
DGrinev
Veteran

Post by DGrinev »

Hi,

You can contact the support team and let them take a closer look at the infrastructure, also they might initiate some tests against your environment and give helpful advises.
Please do not forget to put the case id in this thread, so we can track it internally. Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

slsc0728 wrote:But the speed is slow .
Why do you consider the reported speed of 162 MB/s to be slow? It it the speed of the initial full backup to a dedupe appliance?
slsc0728
Novice

Post by slsc0728 »

I am using 8gb FC connection, the MAX speed will be 800MB/s

But the Full Backup only got around 150MB/s , the incremental Backup only got around 80-200MB/s

It is Not a init Full, The StoreOnce have 2 Full Backup restore point.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

You will not get close to what link allows with a single stream backup to a dedupe appliance. With several parallel jobs or per-VM chains enabled for repository (in case you're backing up multiple VMs), you could workaround the storage ingest rate limit of a single write stream and get better performance.
splatt
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Post by splatt »

Hi I've been battling this for around 2 months with HPE and Veeam Tech support
One issue was that VM's with many hard disks get really slow e.g. a file server with 10 separate VMDK files can take hours, at 7MB/s per disk yet a VM with a single disk can transfer at >500MB/s over the same infrastructure - COFC 8GB FC
jmely
Novice
Full Name: Jerome MELY

Post by jmely »

Is your Proxy and Catalyst gateway on the same server ? The Catalyst store in Low Bandwith ?
davidburke84
Influencer
Full Name: David

Post by davidburke84 »

Are you running newer firmware on the SO? There have been some improvements in the newer version included number of open files IIRC. I'm running the the newest myself with no issues.

I would say your times are very similar to mine and I have a very similar setup as yours. You could try to change your jobs to land to the CIFS configuration on the SO, but you will not see the same dedup and you will not be able to do it over fiber. I tried to do this of 10GB network and was not pleased with the results.

There is a lot of extra processing that goes into the deduplicating the data. This is the trade off for backup performance. I'm currently in a bit of a redesign with my storage. I'm going to land my backups to local disk then run a copy job to our local SO. Are copying your data to a remote SO? I'm finding that doing a copy of the data from a local SO to remote SO through the Veeam software is getting worse compression. Veeam support recommended I change to land backups locally as well.
davidburke84
Influencer
Full Name: David

Post by davidburke84 »

splatt wrote:Hi I've been battling this for around 2 months with HPE and Veeam Tech support
One issue was that VM's with many hard disks get really slow e.g. a file server with 10 separate VMDK files can take hours, at 7MB/s per disk yet a VM with a single disk can transfer at >500MB/s over the same infrastructure - COFC 8GB FC
Never seen performance that bad. Do you have too many concurrent tasks enabled on your appliance?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

splatt wrote:One issue was that VM's with many hard disks get really slow e.g. a file server with 10 separate VMDK files can take hours, at 7MB/s per disk yet a VM with a single disk can transfer at >500MB/s over the same infrastructure - COFC 8GB FC
Basically, backup speed is expectedly higher if you backup multiple VMs, since each VM is processed within a separate write stream, while all disks of a single VM occupy a single stream, which is limited by ~150MB/s. That said, in your case the speed is indeed pretty slow (7MB/s).