Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
govi
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Govinda Naik

Is it possible to deploy free version of Veeam?

Post by govi »

Hi Team,

Could you please let me know if its possible to centrally deploy Veeam Free Version from Veeam Backup and Replication 9.5 console?

Thanks,

Govi
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Is it possible to deploy free version of Veeam?

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Govinda,

That is not possible. Central management requires licensed versions for Veeam Agent for Windows.

Cheers
Mike
govi
Enthusiast

Post by govi »

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply, If I want to see backup status(successful, warning, failed) of workstation on which free version is install then we need to choose backup destination as VBR repository I guess.

I also would like to know if Multiple backup job can be created using Free Version? Like Weekly on External hard disk (Full Image+increamental) and Monthly backup of only files &folder on VBR Repository.

If multiple backup job is not possible then is there any way to accomplish this task. I cannot buy Workstation Paid license since veeam does not allow to mix paid and free version.

Thanks,
Govi
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Govi,

If they are all free versions, you can point it indeed to a VBR backup repository. But that would require them to deploy them manually first (although it is an MSI so working with GPO or SCCM is possible) and then manual config, pointing to the repository. That would allow you to see those statuses.

Multiple jobs is not yet supported in VAW at this moment but we are aware of the need. There is an entire topic already on these forums (veeam-agent-for-windows-f33/feature-request-t24705.html) and as you can read there, we are seeking use case scenario's to be sure we support the most important ones. We will take your use-case also in consideration

Thanks
Mike
govi
Enthusiast

Post by govi »

Hi Mike,

I was about to purchase Veeam Essential Standard license to backup my VM and use Veeam free agent to backup workstation and have one consolidated backup solution but I am bit disappointed that multiple job is not supported in free version although many customer requested in 2014 and so on (3years down the line).

Fact that I am really impressed with Veeam software and testing this product for past couple of months and my effort paid off since management agreed to purchase license but with one condition that we need to make use of Veeam Agent Free Version to backup workstation with multiple backup targets. Not sure how to proceed now. :cry: :cry:
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Unfortunately I can't help you on how to proceed besides waiting for multiple jobs to arrive in the solution. I'm assuming that these workstations are out of the office on a regular basis?
govi
Enthusiast

Post by govi »

Yes, Most of the workstation are out of the office. I tried option of backing up system state on one drive for business but initially it takes hell lot of time to do the backup for obvious reason that we are uploading data on internet and I am not sure how much time it will take to recover the system in case of crash since we need to download the data from One drive for business.

Even If I convince management to buy few workstation license for those workstation which are outside most of the time but problem is that we cannot mix with free license with paid license on single VBR console.

Any ETA for multiple job configuration functionality? may be I can convince management that we can buy solution now and later when this functionality is available we can upgrade to latest version and configure second backup strategy.

Thanks,
Govi

Thanks,

Govi
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

That is something I can't help you with. I don't know the status of the next update or a potential ETA. Sorry. Maybe someone else can chime in here...
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

We are working on adding support for multiple jobs for standalone agents in the next update, ETA is second half of this year.
govi
Enthusiast

Post by govi » 1 person likes this post

Hi Gostev,

Thanks for the update. you guys are amazing, specially response on forum is amazing, I have never seen such a quick response on any of the product forum.

Keep Doing good Job.

Thanks,

Govi