Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
stewsie
Veteran
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: Paul

Performance problems since Update 3

Post by stewsie »

Hi

I installed Update 3 last Friday and since then have been experiencing really slow copy performance and anything that uses the copy jobs which in our case is the tape jobs. When I say slow I mean speeds of around 4 MB/s

The bottleneck is shown as the source or target for the copy jobs.

I have opened a support call but nothing found as yet.

Anyone else noticed any performance issues?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Performance problems since Update 3

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Paul,

This behavior is unexpected. Please share your case ID with us to track the investigation results. Thanks.
stewsie
Veteran

Post by stewsie »

02559484 is the job number
stewsie
Veteran

Post by stewsie »

We have today restarted some of the storage devices and the copy performance appears to be back to the usual levels. However the tape performance which is what I originally raised the support job for is very slow.

There are two jobs running. One is using the VSB file and is running at 7 MB/s the other is a new job and is just using the full backup file and this is running at around 80 MB/s so quite a difference. We don't normally get great tape drive performance and it looks like it has got worse with Update 3 and maybe how it processes the VSB file?
omegagx
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Mike G

Post by omegagx »

Did you ever get this resolved? Just curious if it's a known issue or a one-off.
Thanks a lot.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Michael, tape performance issues (if you're asking about them) are still under investigation in the OP's case.
stewsie
Veteran

Post by stewsie »

Just returned to work after a week off.

It looks like the performance issue has been resolved by my colleague restarting the data movers on the storage system. This happened in November after a code update on the storage but this had not been a problem since. It would appear to be coincidental that it happened again after I updated the Veeam software.

Performance now appears to be back to our normal levels with no changes being made to the Veeam software configuration.