Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
heiicat
Lurker
Liked: never

New Licensing Model

Post by heiicat »

Is it possible to mix perpetual licensing (ie: Veeam Essentials 3 x 2 sockets) and Subscription licensing (Add an additional host but only 2 VMs)?
jazzoberoi
Enthusiast
Liked: 23 times
Full Name: Jazz Oberoi

Re: New Licensing Model

Post by jazzoberoi »

+1 We can cover all our offsite servers this way.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Unfortunately, mixing different types of licenses is technically not possible in the product today. But of course, you can deploy the dedicated backup server to manage those offsite servers, for example. Thanks!
DDIT
Expert
Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Michael Yorke

Post by DDIT »

If we went all-in with Subscription, can we get a mix of Standard and Enterprise?

For example, say we have

Head Quarters - 10 VMs
Branch Office A - 2 VMs
Branch Office B - 2 VMs

Could we get 2 x Enterprise Subscriptions to cover the HQ site (where Enterprise features are required) and have 1 x Standard Subscription covering both Branch Offices. And manage everything from a single console?

I am referring to Veeam Backup Essentials btw.

Thanks
tdewin
Veeam Software
Liked: 646 times
Full Name: Timothy Dewin

Post by tdewin »

Hi,

This is covered in the FAQ:
Q: Can I mix and match different product editions in the same environment.
A: No, the license edition has to be the same.

veeam-backup-replication-f2/read-this-f ... tml#p85109
DDIT
Expert

Post by DDIT »

Me again.

Regarding the subscription for Veeam Backup Essentials pricing on this page, https://www.veeam.com/veeam-backup-esse ... icing.html, specifically "You can also purchase one- to five-year subscription licenses of Veeam Backup Essentials on a per-VM basis in 5 socket bundles, for up to a maximum of 50 VMs"

what does "5 socket bundles" mean?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Must be a typo, I think the statement should go like this: "on a per-VM basis in 5 Virtual Machine bundles", meaning that subscription per-VM license can only be issued in multiples of 5, meaning 5 VMs, 10 VMs, 15 VMs, etc.

It would not harm to clarify that with the sales representative, though.

Thanks.
DDIT
Expert

Post by DDIT »

Thanks.

Sorry to ask an obvious question, but I just want to be clear... Say I am setting up a new branch office and they have 3 VM's only, it would cost me 5 x £130.50 for a 1-year sub?

Thanks.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Based on my understanding, indicated is the price for 5 VMs as opposed to a single VM, but it's worth reaching your sales representative for confirmation. Thanks.
Legoman
Lurker

Post by Legoman »

Can someone confirm the fact that a annual subscription for Backup Essentials cover 5 VM ? Or do we need to buy 1 annual subscription for Backup Essentials for each VM ?

Thanks in advance.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Please contact your sales representative for any licensing-related question. Thanks.
DDIT
Expert

Post by DDIT »

My reseller confirmed for me that for Veeam B&R Essentials, I subscription "license" covers 5 VMs.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

From what I heard, Veeam Backup Essentials will continue to be offered on socket-basis ONLY, as the goal of this offering is to 100% match VMware Essentials (which is only available on socket-basis). So the idea here is that a prospect buys X sockets of VMware Essentials, and adds matching number of Veeam Essentials.
mstringer
Service Provider
Full Name: Matthew Stringer

Post by mstringer »

Gostev wrote:Unfortunately, mixing different types of licenses is technically not possible in the product today. But of course, you can deploy the dedicated backup server to manage those offsite servers, for example. Thanks!
Hi Gostev, I came across this thread trying to validate a similar scenario to the OP. The statement quoted above seems to support the scenario I am looking at, but would appreciate your validation.

We have a 3 site (VMware) setup:
Site 1: Primary data center, 6 hosts all dual socket.
Site 2: Secondary data centre, 5 hosts all dual socket.
Site 3: Remote office, 1 host dual socket.
Site 1 and 2 have their own vCenter instances. Site 3 is connected to Site 2 vCenter

Solution
Site 1: 12 x VBE Enterprise Plus per socket perpetual. This would be first VBR server.
Site 2 & 3: 20 x VBR Enterprise Plus per VM subscription. This would be a second VBR server.

The use of the subscription model for Site 2 & 3, enables us to greatly reduce the cost compared to per socket licensing, as there are so few active VMs. There would be no replication jobs, just backup jobs relative to the VBR for that site.

The problem is, the Veeam rep is saying we are not allowed to have perpetual and subscription and wants to sell 24 sockets of VBR perpetual. This seems at odds with the information in this thread, that "you can deploy the dedicated backup server to manage those offsite servers".

Can you help to clarify, please?

Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Hi, Matthew. I am sorry for this possible confusion. I only know for sure what is possible (or not possible) technically, but unfortunately I'm not aware of the sales side of the story, for example what is the current stance on combining different license types in the same environment. This type of information is indeed best obtained from your sales rep. Thanks!