Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
SRMETAS
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Simon Roggli

Used Ports when pushing agent to Linux Server?

Post by SRMETAS »

Hi, i have problems with pushing the Veeam agent via Protection Groups. On Linux Servers with enabled firewalls, the connection will fail tough SSH ports are open.
Ar there any other ports i have to open on those Linux servers?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Used Ports when pushing agent to Linux Server?

Post by veremin »

Are you positive that all ports are opened in accordance with this guide? Thanks.
SRMETAS
Enthusiast

Post by SRMETAS »

Hi Vladimir, for Linux i guess it uses initially SSH Port 22. But my case it says "Unable to install backup agent: cannot connect to serverXX. Error User Authentication failed.
But can connect with putty with the excact same credentials.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Post by PTide »

Since it gave you the exact reason of error, I doubt it's a port issue. What user do you use for deployment, what is your OS, and what is the authentication method?

Thanks
SRMETAS
Enthusiast

Post by SRMETAS »

On the SUSE Linux machines i have made a veeamagent user which i'm using in veeam. I even have tried with the root user from VEEAM...same issue. I have saved the credential under "Manage Credential" and use those in the Protection Groups.
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

If we discard the version of a trivial coincidence (a typo in veeamagent user credentials, and disabled ssh login for root in ssh server settings), the whole situation looks like some bug. Since I don't believe you could have made a typo in veeamagent user credentials, and you would know if root ssh login was disabled, I suggest you to contact our support team and open a case. Please post your case ID once you do.

Thank you
SRMETAS
Enthusiast

Post by SRMETAS »

OK I will open a case
SRMETAS
Enthusiast

Post by SRMETAS » 2 people like this post

OK the solution was to make sure that Password authentication is enabled in /etc/ssh/sshd_config file: "PasswordAuthentication yes"
Problem solved
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Thank you for coming back with that! One thing that still is not clear to me - you were able to login with putty with the exact same credentials but the password authentication was disabled. How come?

Thanks
RalfGoe
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Ralf Görtzen

Post by RalfGoe »

We were not able to start client backup at first either. Had to change above mentioned client configuration manually. Installing the agent on a client should but can't check this.
PTide wrote:One thing that still is not clear to me - you were able to login with putty with the exact same credentials but the password authentication was disabled. How come?
On Linux systems sshd differentiates between entering the credentials interactive or sending them online (tunneled clear text passwords! - see discussion https://forums.veeam.com/vmware-vsphere ... ion#p60670). On most systems the default setting for this is no.
The most annoying circumstance is Veeam Backup & Replication server 9.5.0.1536 does not recognize PasswordAuthentification on the target system is not allowed but prints out a very confusing message instead: "Host rescan is required" when waiting for rescan job and unable to process the backup.
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Ralf,

I think that I see it now - it seems that OP also had "ChallengeResponseAuthentication" set to "yes" which allowed him to interactively use putty to login with password but not Veeam.
The most annoying circumstance is Veeam Backup & Replication server 9.5.0.1536 does not recognize PasswordAuthentification on the target system is not allowed but prints out a very confusing message instead: "Host rescan is required" when waiting for rescan job and unable to process the backup.
We will address this one,

Thank you for your feedback