Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
coreya123
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: corey arndt

Can Veeam Archive old files

Post by coreya123 »

Hello,
I am looking for a solution that will automatically archive any files not accessed in 5-7 years. Can Veeam do this well?

Ultimately I am looking for something that will
a) Review if a file has not been accessed in x years
b) Move the old file from its original location to a slower NAS, or tape, or cloud
c) Leave a pointer/shortcut in the original location so that the users knows that the file didn't simply disappear and can access the file in its new location

We are switching to Veeam shortly so I cannot say if Veeam will do this.

Is there anything else I should be considering for this archiving project?

I was told that another product (Commvault) would do this well but I would prefer to use a single solution if Veeam could do this well. I am also uncertain if the two products would interfere with each other.

Thank you
Corey
csydas
Expert
Liked: 47 times
Full Name: Harvey Carel

Re: Can Veeam Archive old files

Post by csydas »

Difficult to say right now. Veeam is primarily an image level solution focused on VMs and recently physical servers as well; their file level offerings are not as strong as they just aren't the primary focus for Veeam. Right now you can't do what you're asking with Veeam, but v10 may do it.

v10 has built-in NAS backup coming, but there aren't a lot of details on what this fully means, so it's TBD.

What I can say is that the File Level restore are pretty darn quick in most cases and it's pretty wonderful imo. But your specific use case here isn't included short of some powershell scripting.