Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Dtallerico
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Dennis Tallerico

Cannot Configure Windows Agent

Post by Dtallerico »

We are new to Veeam and attempting to our first Windows Agent. We are running B&R 9.5, U3. After installing, attempted to configure a backup job, supplying the Veeam backup server name and local admin credentials of the backup server. We receive the error:

Unable to detect available resources. Settings are managed by your system administrator.

Dtallerico
dance84
Lurker
Full Name: Stefan Denzinger

Re: Cannot Configure Windows Agent

Post by dance84 »

when will this error occur ?
I think this might be a issue because you did not generate a protection group or you do not have generated a backup repository.
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Dennis and welcome to the community!

Can you clarify which license you've installed into VBR?
Is there any chance you are using Free VBR with a Free Windows Agent? Thanks!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Dtallerico wrote:Unable to detect available resources. Settings are managed by your system administrator.Dtallerico
Looks like you are trying to manage the agent job via Veeam Agent for Windows UI. Is that correct?
skrbnik
Novice
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: skrbnik

Post by skrbnik » 5 people like this post

Hi,

I recently faced this same issue.

The problem was that I wanted to test the new functionality of remotely deploying Veeam Agents for Mircrosoft. Later, I found out that this is a licensed feature, so I tried to revert back to the Free version and I got the Error message mentioned here.

To go back to normal, I had to remove the computer objects by right clicking on "Manually Added" Properties... and under "Computers".

It was not easy to find this though, hopefully this will help someone in the future.

Regards,

Eneko
DDIT
Expert
Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Michael Yorke

Post by DDIT »

It sure did! I had this exact scenario - I deployed the agent from Veeam B&R, realised remote config was a licensed feature, so went to the endpoint in question to manually set it up, but hit this error. I just followed your steps to get around this issue. Many thanks.
matt.yoder
Novice
Full Name: Matt Yoder

Post by matt.yoder »

I got this error but cannot get around it. I deleted the computer from the "Manually Added" Properties, reinstalled the software on the computer, and he is still getting this error (right after "starting service"):

"Unable to complete the action because this backup agent is centrally managed by your system administrator"

The strange part is that this symptom started randomly last week on this computer without any manual configuration of protection groups on the server. We only tried adding it to the "manually added" group so that we could continue running the backup. At that point, the backup failed because we don't have agent licenses.

Does anyone know how we can fix this computer? At this point, we are fairly certain that the problem is on the PC itself, and not on the server.

Thanks!

Matt
Retrofreak
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mirko

Post by Retrofreak »

Same here (see last post). I tried to clean uninstall everything veeam related and reinstalled. While installing I get "Unable to complete the action because this backup agent is centrally managed by your system administrator" (it isnt... its just a local machine - running windows 7 pro 64). After a while the next message is "Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows setup application has encountered a critical error and will be closed. See installation logs for more information." - Where are the installation logs? Is there any solution?
Greetings and thanks in advance!
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Mirko.

Were you using Veeam B&R to manage this agent? If yes, have you tried to remove this host from Veeam B&R console? Thanks.
zadrian
Expert
Liked: 4 times

Post by zadrian »

I am also having this issue....

I used my VBR 9.5 server to manage a notebook using trial license (90 days).
As I found out that VAWW (Veeam Agent for Windows "Workstation) cost like 6x the price of its nearest competitor and there are so many weird features and errors on the VAWW.
I decided to use the free version but have the backup session/job monitor by VBR 9.5 and use the VBR 9.5 server repository....via VBR server, I removed the notebook form the job, "uninstall agent" then remove the computer from the protection group. Then I rebooted the notebook and reinstalled Veeam Agent Windows 2.1 on the notebook. I tried to configure the backup on the notebook then I got the error when I choose the Veeam repository.....

I am editing the post as I notice after the reboot...Veeam Agent for Windows is still installed on the notebook...I am manually removing it then rebooting Windows 10 notebook again.
zadrian
Expert
Liked: 4 times

Post by zadrian » 1 person likes this post

Dtallerico wrote:We are new to Veeam and attempting to our first Windows Agent. We are running B&R 9.5, U3. After installing, attempted to configure a backup job, supplying the Veeam backup server name and local admin credentials of the backup server. We receive the error:

Unable to detect available resources. Settings are managed by your system administrator.

Dtallerico
I seem to have found a weird way to remove machines from VBR controlled VAWW (Veeam Agent for Windows "Workstation") and to enable VAW (Veeam Agent for Windows) to backup to repository on VBR....gets rid of "Unable to detect available resources. Settings are managed by your system administrator."

I cannot really verify the steps as I tried with trial and error and finally successfully on 2 machines.

1. Edit VBR backup job to remove machines (You should see object count decreasing)
2. Go to VBR "inventory" protection group and "uninstall agent" (a pop-up windows would appear to rescan and perform tasks)
3. Edit VBR "inventory" protection group and remove the machine (The machine should be removed from the "physical & cloud infrastructure)
4. reboot the machine
5. check program and features to see if VAWW is still installed ? It may been installed as VAW (Veeam Agent for Windows) and license either as free or workstation edition (either one would still means its linked to VBR)
6. uninstall the VAWW or VAW
7. reboot
8. Edit registry and set [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Endpoint Backup] "Recreatedatabase"=dword:00000001 (this will cause Veeam to recreate the database on machine)
9. Install Veeam Agent for Windows 2.1.0.423
10. Edit registry and set [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Endpoint Backup] "Recreatedatabase"=dword:00000001 (this will cause Veeam to recreate the database on machine, flush any registry settings missed on step 8)
11. restart service "Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows" (use "net stop Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows" & "net start Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows" if you know how)
12 configure Veeam Agent for Windows (VAW) to use the VBR repository....it would work now....no more errors
13 run backup...it will have error "Job have been diabled by the Veeam administrator"
14. Go to VBR server, under backup jobs, untick disable. (somehow the job moved from the Windows Agent policy jobs to backup job and was disabled).
dataharbor
Service Provider
Full Name: Dennis Tallerico

Post by dataharbor »

Thanks everyone for your input. We were able to solve the problem with the steps provided by zadrian.
Dtallerico
nathano
Expert
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Nathan Oldfield

Post by nathano » 1 person likes this post

I've just worked through the same issue, I wanted to try the agent push from VBR etc, then realised that was no good as I was just wanted to use the free version (I should have known better)..

Anyhoo - I went through lots of steps to resolve the error
"Unable to detect available repositories.
Settings are managed by your system administrator. "

I did a full uninstall of the client, removed all Veeam files under program files and programdata, I also removed all Veeam registry entries using regdellnull and still no joy.

I had already removed the backup job, and the computer from the group in the inventory section in VBR...

so after a full removal I still had the same error so I went digging on the VBR and found the windows machine still listed in the SQL DB in the table "dbo.Backup.Model.EpAgentInfo"

Knowing I have full backups of the VBR I deleted that one row from the table in SQL..

That was it, the client them connected to the VBR and displayed the repos as expected.

So somehow the machine was left in the SQL database after being removed from the console. Pretty weird.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Nathan,

Have you tried to Uninstall agent from Veeam B&R console? It uninstalls all the components and erases all the Veeam B&R from the clients machine.
nathano
Expert
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Nathan Oldfield

Post by nathano »

yes I uninstalled the agent from the VBR console.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

That's strange: after agent is uninstalled via Veeam B&R console the next standalone installation should be complete independent from Veeam B&R. Thanks for your post - I'll ask our QA team to double check this behavior.
Wadih
Lurker

Post by Wadih »

My story: I initially had Windows Agent, then I uninstalled it, installed B&R, uninstalled B&R, and tried re-installing Windows Agent and it gave me that error.

What worked for me is I went in appwiz.cpl and uninstalled the remaining B&R components, and then tried installing Windows Agent again and didn't get the error anymore.
VM-Bob
Lurker
Full Name: Bob Bell

Post by VM-Bob »

skrbnik wrote: Feb 20, 2018 9:17 am Hi,

I recently faced this same issue.

The problem was that I wanted to test the new functionality of remotely deploying Veeam Agents for Mircrosoft. Later, I found out that this is a licensed feature, so I tried to revert back to the Free version and I got the Error message mentioned here.

To go back to normal, I had to remove the computer objects by right clicking on "Manually Added" Properties... and under "Computers".

It was not easy to find this though, hopefully this will help someone in the future.

Regards,

Eneko
Thank you Eneko! I also had tried to deploy the Veeam Agent for MS Windows remotely from my Veeam console... I later removed the software on the remote server, and manually installed the free version. I got the same error you mentioned above, but thankfully you gave me the solution.

Just to clarify for others - you have to go into your Veeam console under Inventory -> Physical & Cloud Infrastructure -> Manually Added -- that is where you can remove the computer object of the remote server.

-Bob
Mt5q&q44@v
Lurker
Liked: 1 time

Post by Mt5q&q44@v » 1 person likes this post

nathano wrote: Jul 12, 2018 3:33 am I've just worked through the same issue, I wanted to try the agent push from VBR etc, then realised that was no good as I was just wanted to use the free version (I should have known better)..

Anyhoo - I went through lots of steps to resolve the error
"Unable to detect available repositories.
Settings are managed by your system administrator. "

I did a full uninstall of the client, removed all Veeam files under program files and programdata, I also removed all Veeam registry entries using regdellnull and still no joy.

I had already removed the backup job, and the computer from the group in the inventory section in VBR...

so after a full removal I still had the same error so I went digging on the VBR and found the windows machine still listed in the SQL DB in the table "dbo.Backup.Model.EpAgentInfo"

Knowing I have full backups of the VBR I deleted that one row from the table in SQL..

That was it, the client them connected to the VBR and displayed the repos as expected.

So somehow the machine was left in the SQL database after being removed from the console. Pretty weird.
Just wanted to add that nathano's post finally fixed my issue, after also trying the steps zadrian provided without any luck.

For those like myself that aren't as familiar with SQL here's what I did.
1. Install SQL management studio (https://aka.ms/ssmsfullsetup)
2. Find the table (Databases > VeeamBackup > Tables > dbo.Backup.Model.EpAgentInfo)
3. Right click and choose "Edit top 200 rows" then delete the offending row.