Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
badams
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Bert Adams

Installation of VBR for Windows Server Hyper-V

Post by badams »

I am installing VBR, and I continue to get to a point which confuses me. It seems that when I follow the user guide, it tells me to add the production server, which I did, then add the backup server, which I did.

When it then talks about configuration of the backup repository, it mentions adding another server. Since, my backup repository will be on the backup server, that seems redundant. I currently have three servers added. I wonder if I should remove the newly added Windows Server and just install the repository to the Backup Server.

PS: I am wondering if VBR is thinking I have a host and a backup server (for VBR application only), and then thinks I want to have a backup repository on an entirely different server.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Installation of VBR for Windows Server Hyper-V

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Bert,

If you install VBR on a single server, then by default a default repository will be added. You probably don't want to use that but configure a new repository on the same server pointing to a specific location. So instead of adding a new server, you should add a repository. Select the VBR server as the "host" and point to the location.

Makes sense?

Thanks
Mike
badams
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Bert Adams

Post by badams »

Thanks Mike,

A little. Here is one of my major problems:

I have a Hyper-V host server (Windows Server 2016 Standard) with the VMs (I refer to this is the HOST)

I have a backup server completely dedicated to VBR and backups (I call this the backup server and since I don't have another server, it is, by default, the proxy server.

Veeam talks about the following nomenclature:

Hyper-V host (production with production VMs) = Source
Backup server = Backup repository
Target = I do not know if the target is the Backup server or the production server.

I am thinking it is the backup server. Backup VMs from source (Host) to the target (backup server).

SO WHERE I GET CONFUSED ON YOUR ANSWER (thanks for the answer) is you state that the VBR server is the host.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Got it. Yes, I can see where the confusion comes from :-)
Target is where the backups will "land" so the repository. In your case, it seems that the VBR server and repository will be the same (you can have multiple backup repositories, install that repository role on another server and so on, but not important right now).

So the target is indeed the backup server in your case. (At least if I am correct and the storage where you will keep your backups is connected to that dedicated backup server)

Hope it is more clear now
Cheers
Mike