Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
tpalmer
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Todd Palmer

FEATURE REQUEST: Repository Quotas

Post by tpalmer »

To start, Veeam has been absolutely phenomenal and saved my neck more than once!

Recently, I lapsed in monitoring my backup repository and I ran out of storage space. Sadly, I lost 5 days of backups. DOH!
I was able to adjust my retention policy for each repository and shouldn't have this issue moving forward. I've also configured email notifications to notify me before something like this happens again.

However, being able to set a 'SOFT/HARD QUOTA' during the backup job creation process might proactively prevent this issue. The 'quota' would natively monitor the repository and automatically remove the oldest backup so newer backup jobs don't fail.

I understand that some businesses have explicit retention policies, but for the average company, this might be an invaluable feature...especially in my circumstance.

Hopefully this feature will be implemented on the Veeam roadmap

Best,

Todd
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: FEATURE REQUEST: Repository Quotas

Post by PTide » 2 people like this post

Hi and welcome to the community, and thank you for your kind words.

Regarding your feature request, we will consider it, however I can't provide any ETA on when/if it is going to be implemented. Meanwhile, please take a look at these notification settings. Also there is Veeam ONE with its reporting capabilities that I'm sure will be beneficial for you.

Thanks
Lee_Cripps
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Lee Cripps

[MERGED] ENHANCEMENT REQUEST: Backup Repository auto-truncat

Post by Lee_Cripps »

What would be a really good optional feature enhancement from my perspective would be for admins to have an option within Veeam B&R to set a capacity threshold level on back repositories enabling Veeam to automatically truncation - or rollup - old backup jobs.

I know this may not suit everyone's environment but for admins like me who just want to get the maximum out of available backup disk storage without the need to juggle restore point retention policies or manually delete .vrb files from the storage itself then rescan - which usually results in false restore points (i.e. files not found issues) - it would be so useful!

Many other backup solutions have this feature so I really hope Veeam can implement soon as it causes unnecessary manual admin time and time again.
SBarrett847
Service Provider
Liked: 41 times
Full Name: Stephen Barrett

Re: ENHANCEMENT REQUEST: Backup Repository auto-truncate

Post by SBarrett847 » 1 person likes this post

Yes - I would love this.
lmbutault
Service Provider
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Louis-Marie BUTAULT

Re: ENHANCEMENT REQUEST: Backup Repository auto-truncate