Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
lutrell
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Roderick Carter II

Exchange NTFS Folder Shortcuts

Post by lutrell »

Hello, i'm having an issue with the Exchange Backup not truncating the logs after backing it up. I have about 28 databases an a log drive for each, so install of using letter drives, we just do NTFS Folders and create shortcuts on the C drive. Now if i set up an exchange backup and point to those shortcuts, Exchange will back them up no problem but it will not truncate the logs. There is no shadow copy created even though the path to the volume has C:\ in the location. Is there any veeam work around for this? Windows backup server can identify those volumes and so can Commvault, is there any API or script that will help Veeam recognize those volumes?

Thanks
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Exchange NTFS Folder Shortcuts

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Roderick,

Can you try to select the exact location for your databases in backup job properties and rerun the backup job? Thank you in advance.
lutrell
Novice

Post by lutrell »

Thanks for the response, i put in the exact location for each database i wanted to backup and the logs still do not truncate.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Roderick,

What edition are you using?
lutrell
Novice

Post by lutrell »

9.5 U3. I'm watching the exchange logs and the backup and i never see the backup actually take a VSS snapshot. The logs don't indicate that a snapshot was taken but the job finishes. The tech is saying that i need to have C:\ as part of the job, or run a backup of the entire server.