Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
mikeely
Expert
Liked: 69 times
Full Name: Mike Ely

Required ports list confusing

Post by mikeely »

Case #02626051

Looking at the guide here:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=21

Appears to go like:
To: Veeam Agent Computer
Proto: TCP
Ports: 9395, 6183

Is this going over loopback?

Also, nowhere in that document do I see what inbound ports need to be enabled from the Veeam servers to the Windows client running the agent. I know the agent handles the Windows firewall rules, but I have to talk to people in three different departments to get firewall rules and ACLs adjusted on all the equipment between the Veeam server and the Windows client, and can't do that when the rules aren't listed.

Which of course leads me to the ongoing gripe, which is that Veeam connectivity to Windows requires shiploads too many ports. One of the Veeam devs should really accompany me on a meeting with one of our network engineers when I explain the port requirements to them, just so said Veeam dev can see the look of barely-concealed rage and disgust on their face, especially when the dynamic RPC port list comes up. Please, Veeam devs, PLEASE, scope that stuff down to something reasonable. It works fine on Linux, after all.
'If you truly love Veeam, then you should not let us do this :D' --Gostev, in a particularly Blazing Saddles moment
mikeely
Expert
Liked: 69 times
Full Name: Mike Ely

Re: Required ports list confusing

Post by mikeely »

Apparently was reading the wrong doc:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95
Might help to link the one doc from the other, also still wayyyy too many ports.
'If you truly love Veeam, then you should not let us do this :D' --Gostev, in a particularly Blazing Saddles moment