Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
eiht
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Jesse Adams

Instant Recovery from Synology 918+ NAS

Post by eiht »

I've got backups to my Synology 918+ working fine but I can't instant Recover from them. I'm new to Veeam and new to Synology for NAS. Veeam says it's not them and Synology of course says the same. I've tried everything I can think of with permissions because I'm getting this error:
Reason: Access is denied.
Failed to restore file from local backup. VFS link: [summary.xml]. Target file: [MemFs://frontend::CDataTransferCommandSet::RestoreText_{c61984ab-b99c-4011-b9c1-0c638d6b4829}]. CHMOD mask: [68].
Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.RestoreText}.

I'm hoping some of you experienced guys will have some ideas for me to try. I've tried changing permissions on both ends, making a dedicated user local and domain and giving both full rights to the CIFS/SMB share on the NAS.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1566 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Instant Recovery from Synology 918+ NAS

Post by Dima P. »

Hello eiht,

Please double check if Enable vPower NFS server on the mount server is checked in the repository wizard for your NAS. Also please make sure that mount server must have access to your backup repository. Thank you.
eiht
Novice

Post by eiht »

Those are both set correctly. Also it's worth noting it seems to only be affecting Agent backups on the NAS. If I pull a backup from a VM to the NAS I can Instant Recover from that but if I try to Instant Recover from one of the Agent Backups to a VM it fails. If I copy the Agent backup to the Host server it will instant Recover from there just fine. I only came across this because Veeam told me I could use that method to do my P to V conversion. So far it works perfectly except for this issue. If I can't solve it it's going to solve itself once I get all the servers virtualized but in the meantime it means I have to copy terabytes of data over to the host to do the conversion which adds time. So technically it's just inconvenient but would be nice if I could solve it. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.
eiht
Novice

Post by eiht »

I was able to get this going finally this weekend. What I had to do was make my cifs share a repo inside of Veeam B&R and then from the agents change their backup from pointing to a share to pointing to a Veeam Repo. I'm not sure why that handles the creds differently but now it works.