Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
dbr
Expert
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Daniel Brase

NetApp snaps won't be deleted after vm move

Post by dbr »

Hi guys,

We use NetApp storage snapshots to backup a vm on a nfs volume hourly with a retention of 24 snapshots. After moving the only backed up vm within this job to another datastore the existing snapshots on the old volume weren't deleted by retention. Because of this that volume ran out of space. Regardless of a functional monitoring I would have expected that Veeam is intelligent enough to delete these snaps, especially since Veeam created them by itself. Support told me this is by design, but in my opinion Veeam should take care of volume snapshots it creates. Can an engineer comment on this matter?

Greets, Daniel.
dbr
Expert

Re: NetApp snaps won't be deleted after vm move

Post by dbr »

Case # 02618753
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Daniel, basically retention should maintain the configured total number of snapshots on both volumes. However, there might be issues in case SnapVault or SnapMirror are involved, since they lock the snapshots, resulting in inability to delete them.
dbr
Expert

Post by dbr »

Hi Alex,

there's no SnapVault or SnapMirror for these volumes involved. The support engineer told me that he can confirm this behaviour and said this is by design. The only thing I can tell for sure is that in our current configuration the old 24 snapshots were left on the old volume and Veeam started to create 24 new ones on the current volume. As I wrote, at the moment we only backup one vm with storage snapshot. Therefore there's no job that would access the old volume after storage migration of the vm to another volume. If Veeam should really maintain snashots on both volumes in this case then I suggest to open a new case and ask for escalation directly? Do you agree?

Daniel
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

We've checked this internally, indeed, snapshots on the old volume are not subjected to retention. We will discuss the ability to change this behavior, thanks for reporting!