Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
sirdeekay
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Dee Kay

Hyper-V Replica Backup

Post by sirdeekay »

We're using Hyper-V Replication (native, not through Veeam) to both loadbalance and failover machines (each Host is in another building). Meaning half of the machines run on one host, half on the other. And they replicate with each other every 5 minutes.

Looks something like this:

Host 1:
Fileserver (Running)
Webserver (Off, replica)
Printserver (Running)
Veeamserver (Off, replica)

Host 2:
Fileserver (Off, replica)
Webserver (Running)
Printserver (Off, replica)
Veeamserver (Running)

If I add both Hosts to Veeam and just tell it to backup all machines it will backup every machine twice (the running one and the replica that's turned off). I know this will not really take up space since it should be able to deduplicate everything - but it takes longer and seems redundant.
I would like to know if there is a way to tell Veeam: Only backup the primary/currently active copies - not the replica.

Right now I'm selecting each machine on each host that is the primary one in the backup job manually. But that means I have to add every new machine in the future and/or adjust the job if I ever choose that another server should be the primary one.

Due to company politics I can't use Veeam Replication has to be native Hyper-V (don't ask...).
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Hyper-V Replica Backup

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Dee Kay,

As far as I am aware, this cannot be achieved through the UI. I am thinking of a way to do this through SCVMM with tags (but then you need SCVMM) or with folders (if that is arranged like that). If not, I would consider using PowerShell to populate your jobs by first creating a list of the VMs that are running and populate as such.

Cheers
Mike