Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
StephanG
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Stephan G

Suggestion: If inventory fails - remove "media set info"

Post by StephanG »

Hi there,

i sometimes enter old tapes from arcserve to erase them and use them with veeam.
I get errors for all the tapes (that is by design and ok) but i don't get why the "media pool information" is still populated with the information of the tape that was at this slot before.
Isn't it possible to remove this information if i select "inventory library" and the enter the error code instead of the "old" media set?

It's kind of confusing and always feels if you are doing something wrong if you try to erase them (belong to a media set not expired).

Regards Stephan
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Suggestion: If inventory fails - remove "media set info"

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Stephan.

I assume such tape should go to Unrecognized Media Pool. Can you please elaborate? Thanks.
StephanG
Enthusiast

Post by StephanG »

I made a screenshot back then:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1LvIdn ... 0oSDhNV9EH

Sometimes it also flips back to an even older view.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Thanks. So third party tape gets assigned to the custom media pool (shows it's name), is that correct?
StephanG
Enthusiast

Post by StephanG »

Not really assigned. It just keeps the value that it had before.

So if i remove a tape that was written for January and then enter this "foreign" tape in the same slot. It throws an error while inventory but keeps the name of the january tape.
lyapkost
Expert
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: Konstantin

Post by lyapkost »

Hi Stephan. As I can see you either disabled a barcode reader in the library or are using tapes without barcodes. Could you please explain the reason for that? If your tapes had readable barcodes, such issue wouldn't have appeared.

Actually the logic of this behaviour is common: Veeam B&R is unable to inventory the tape for whatever reason but counts that the tape in slot didn't change. We will think about improving the logic in that particular case. As a workaround (apart from labeling tapes with barcodes) I can suggest that you first remove written tapes from the magazine, perform library rescan, written tapes should go offline, and insert new tapes afterwards. The library will recognize them as new ones.