Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
user231
Novice
Liked: never

daily TAPE Job

Post by user231 »

hello guys,

i've no experience according non standard veeam config so i want to ask you for advice.

we use circa 4 BackupJobs for VMs with different fullbackups-days. For instance:

1. Job-->fullbackup on monday-->otherwise incremental Mo-Fr
2. Job-->fullbackup on wendsday-->otherwise incremental Mo-Fr
etc.

now we want to follow a tape job, that backup the tasks of the last night. that means 1 fullback and 3 incremental in a separate media set. So we can eject daily the media set and put it into the safe.

How to configure that?
I know, i have to use a normal tape job type. so i can better control the start time. But the normal job creates always a fullbackup of all backup jobs, but we only want get it from one of them. for the rest we want to backup the incremenatal ones , only.
Can anybody help? Thanks.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: daily TAPE Job

Post by Dima P. »

Hello user231,

Sound like you should use backup to tape jobs with two simple media pools: one for incremental backups and another for full backups. Select both jobs as a source and schedule backup to tape to run weekly, for example at the end of the week. Resulting tapes will store all restore points for the past week.
user231
Novice

Post by user231 »

We want to backup daily not weekly. Every daytime, we want do backup the jobs of the last night onto the tape.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

In this case you can use one of these scheduling options:

- Simple daily schedule option
- After this job option to start backup to tape when a corresponding backup job completes
- As new backup file appear option. In this case tape job will monitor the source jobs. As soon as the source job creates a new backup, the job will write this backup to tape
user231
Novice

Post by user231 »

I dont think thats the solution for my scenario.
When I configure a TAPE Job for 4 BackupJobs with full and incremental then behave the job like a Job to Disk and start with the last fullback? If a full already exist on tape then it uses the last incremental until the next full job is available?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Since it was an initial run, backup to tape job tried to copy everything that had not been archived to tapes before. During subsequent runs only missing files would be copied: be it incremental or full file. Thanks.
user231
Novice

Post by user231 »

So I see that I am correct with my opinion. Right?
I should use 2 Media Pools - one for full and the other for incremental so can i use monthly and yearly backups in an optimal way?