Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
martin_nz
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Martin

Backup to tape using file job - Exchange Database

Post by martin_nz »

Good Morning,

I am having some issues getting two of my servers backed up using reverse incremental files onto tape each night - the size of the files are just too big for my tape (tape size is 2.3TB and I lose the last 2% of one of the files to tape). The backup is going over two tapes which isn't ideal.

I am thinking of just creating a Files to Tape Backup job but I require that my Exchange databases are backed up in a way that I can recover them in an emergency. Does Veeam support Exchange database backups using FIles to Tape jobs or does it not? the other server I have is a straight file/domain controller. I also have full backup copies going to NAS boxes and replications of the servers to another offsite location.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Backup to tape using file job - Exchange Database

Post by veremin »

Does Veeam support Exchange database backups using FIles to Tape jobs or does it not?
Could you elaborate on that? You can create application consistent backup of Exchange VM and archive resulting file to tapes.

In case of emergency you will be able to restore the data from such backup.

Or you're asking something else?

Thanks.
martin_nz
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Martin

Post by martin_nz »

Hi
What I mean by this:

Is there a way to back up the Exchange 2010 database files using Veeam file to tape backups? My Exchange VM is too big to put onto one tape and I only need to backup the Exchange databases to tape, not an image of the whole server.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Martin,

File to tapes job does support VSS and you can use them to backup the exchange files of your exchange database. However, I wound not recommend doing that because there is no log truncation option which might be critical for your exchange backup.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Have you thought of backing up only system disk and disks hosting Exchange databases, while excluding other disks from processing? Might be a better option. Thanks.