Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
rdixon01
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Rick

Veeam Server Reboot Order Recommendations

Post by rdixon01 »

Does Veeam have a best practice for in which order a Veeam Backup environment should be rebooted.
Our environment consists of the Backup and Replication Manager running on as a VM on Windows 2016, 8- (Phyiscal Proxy Servers) and the (Dedicated) SQL server running on a VM (Windows 2016).
Running Veeam 9.5 Update 3
In the past I have stopped the Veeam Backup Service (Sometimes have the kill the Veean.Backup.Services.exe process cause the service won't stop completely) on the Manager, reboot the SQL server, then the Proxy servers and then last, reboot the Veeam Manager.

Reason for rebooting is we are now updating our environment with Windows Update patches monthly and I would like to script the reboots but I'm not sure if we really need to stop the backup service prior to rebooting the other servers.
Thanks
Rick
nmdange
Veteran
Liked: 142 times

Re: Veeam Server Reboot Order Recommendations

Post by nmdange »

I don't stop services but my Veeam and SQL are on the same server so I'm not sure what effect the SQL database being down has on the B&R server. Proxy, repository and other components like that can be restarted at any time as long as no jobs using those components are running so I would not be concerned about timing on those.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Veeam Server Reboot Order Recommendations

Post by foggy »

If you make sure that n jobs are currently running, you can safely reboot Veeam B&R server and its SQL Server in any order, it should not have any negative consequences.