Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
nunciate
Expert
Liked: 39 times
Full Name: Alan Wells

Comparing Backup Flat files to what is in the database

Post by nunciate »

I replaced some underlying storage for my Scale-Out Repository over the last couple of weeks and noticed something odd.
I put the old repository in maintenance mode. I then performed an "Evacuate Backups" on that repository. After the evacuation completed I did a quick file search of that drive for *.* in Windows Explorer.
If found quite a few backup files left on the drive. They all appeared to be backups older than 30 days which is how long we keep onsite backups.
I went ahead and manually deleted them and that hasn't caused me any troubles but it makes me wonder why those were left behind when they should have been removed under my retention settings.

Is there a script that can look at my database, compile a list of files and file locations and then perform a compare of the actual file system to see if there are extra files? I'd like to keep my file system as clean as possible to save disk space.

Even if someone can give me a SQL script to pull that list out of the DB I should be able to find a way to do a check on the file system myself using that data.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Comparing Backup Flat files to what is in the database

Post by PTide »

Hi,
If found quite a few backup files left on the drive. They all appeared to be backups older than 30 days which is how long we keep onsite backups.
This does not seem right - I recommend contacting our support team for investigation. Please post your case ID once you do.

Thanks