Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
cambocambo
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Cameron Rangeley

Authentication

Post by cambocambo »

Hi Guys

I have installed Veeam Backup for Office 365 and connected it to my tenant and am backing it up successfully. I have enable Authentication under options => authentication and ticked "Enable tenants authentication with organisation credentials"

I have installed Veeam Explorer for Microsoft Office 365 on another computer and attempt to add store. I add "Veeam backup for Microsoft Office 365 Server..." enter the ip address of my server and in the credentials I tried entering my office.com admin user, (the same user credentials that I have used when I configured the backup job). it does not authenticate, it will authenticate with local windows user credentials that are configured on my server computer.

How do I enable authentication with the office 365 credentials for customers to connect with Explorer for Exchange? or have I understood the way that this works incorrectly.

Thanks
cambocambo
Novice

Re: Authentication

Post by cambocambo »

No change was noticed after adding a second office 365 tenant to the configuration, the local user that was able to connect was able to see data from both tenants and I was unable to authenticate with O365 credentials.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Cameron.

The Veeam explorer for Exchange will connect to the VBO server and therefore needs the VBO service user to connect to the data store. From that moment you see the organization and can start doing restores. When you will do a restore to O365 you will need your organization user to be able to restore but exploring is done "locally"

Makes sense?

Thanks
Mike
cambocambo
Novice

Post by cambocambo »

Hi Mike,

Yes that makes sense, is there a way to restrict access to the data stores to particular users, imagine a service provider environment in which user1 => tenant1 => datastore1 and user2 => tenant2 => datastore2. At present the local user1 and user2 will have access to the both datastores.

Thanks

Cam
cambocambo
Novice

Post by cambocambo »

for anyone that comes across this thread in the future Hal Yaman pointed me to this solution https://anthonyspiteri.net/configuring- ... ffice-365/
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Perfect! Thanks for posting this and letting everyone know

cheers
Mike