Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
JeWe
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times

B&R Update 3 - Adding Veeam agents to console

Post by JeWe »

Hi all,

I installed B&R Update 3 yesterday. We have several machines with Veeam Agent. Now I have some questions:
- On 1 machine, I installed Veeam Agent for Windows server including a license. I added the machine to the B&R console and see that the agent has to be upgraded. Can I do this without losing the license and functionality?
- On another machine, I installed Veeam Agent for Windows workstation (free edition). There was a backup job configured locally at the machine. I upgraded the agent via the console, is there any way to migrate this existing job into the console? Locally, I can't access the agent anymore. There is a message, that it's configured at the console.
- Do I have to upgrade the agents necessarily at all? Or is this useless at the console without upgrade?

Regards
Jens
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: B&R Update 3 - Adding Veeam agents to console

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Jens,
JeWe wrote:- On 1 machine, I installed Veeam Agent for Windows server including a license. I added the machine to the B&R console and see that the agent has to be upgraded. Can I do this without losing the license and functionality?
You can install Agent license key to Veeam B&R and then update this agent without "losing" the license key.
JeWe wrote:- On another machine, I installed Veeam Agent for Windows workstation (free edition). There was a backup job configured locally at the machine. I upgraded the agent via the console, is there any way to migrate this existing job into the console? Locally, I can't access the agent anymore. There is a message, that it's configured at the console.
If you want to move the entire management piece to Veeam B&R, then you can either use a job or a policy for that. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to create them.
JeWe wrote:- Do I have to upgrade the agents necessarily at all? Or is this useless at the console without upgrade?
Upgrade to 2.1 version is required if you want to manage Agents using Veeam B&R.

Thanks!
JeWe
Enthusiast

Post by JeWe »

Hi Vitaliy,

thanks for your response!
You can install Agent license key to Veeam B&R and then update this agent without "losing" the license key.
In this case I can install the license only on one B&R-Server, not on two, right?

Regards,
Jens
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

If you want to use multiple backup servers, then you should have a license key covering all managed Agents. If you have this key, then you can install it to multiple backup servers. Out of curiosity, what scenario you're trying to follow?
JeWe
Enthusiast

Post by JeWe »

Not sure, if I understand this. We got a license for the agent. If I want to administrate this agent from two servers, I need two licenses?

No special scenario, we have two servers and I want to have the possibility to control the agents from these two servers.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Ah, this one. Agent can be managed by one server only. Do you have 2 separate servers for security, regulations reasons or due to different geo location?
JeWe
Enthusiast

Post by JeWe »

One agent - one server. Thanks, that's essential, didn't know this.

I thought this might bring a better backup performance. As you ask this way, I may be wrong :-)
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Backup performance does not depend on management component location, what matters is the PC hardware you're trying to protect, destination target etc. Using 1 Veeam B&R server to manage 1 Agent seems like an overkill ;)
JeWe
Enthusiast

Post by JeWe »

Little problems, made even bigger... :-) Of course it isn't just for this agent, all our HyperV-VMs are backed up also.

But you're right, I should reconsider my backup management.

Thank you very much, Vitaliy, have a nice weekend!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

You're welcome! If you have any other design questions, let us know.
JeWe
Enthusiast

Post by JeWe » 1 person likes this post

Hi Vitaliy,

just wanted to thank you for clearing my mind :-) The management console now runs on ONE server.