Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
dbr
Expert
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Daniel Brase

VSS Issues

Post by dbr »

Hi guys,

we encounter randomly vss errors on one vm. I know that there are several posts regarding vss errors but I couldn't find any that suits my issue. On the vm is a Microsoft SQL Server Express 2014 LocalDB installed. We have several similar vms and can back up them without any errors. In addition we have many other sql vms that are much more busy and there're no errors. But on this particular vm we have quite every day following error:

Code: Select all

Failed to prepare guest for hot backup. Error: VSSControl: Failed to prepare guest for freeze, wait timeout 900 sec
Normally these errors are thrown when the vm is unable to "pause" the application (e.g. SQL) in a timely fashion in order to create a vss snapshot. This event log entry is related to the error:

Code: Select all

Log Name:      Application
Source:        SQLWRITER
Event ID:      24583
Description:
Sqllib error: OLEDB Error encountered calling IDBInitialize::Initialize. hr = 0x80004005. SQLSTATE: HYT00, Native Error: 0
Source: Microsoft SQL Server Native Client 11.0
Error message: Login timeout expired
SQLSTATE: 08001, Native Error: 121
Error message: A network-related or instance-specific error has occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. Server is not found or not accessible. Check if instance name is correct and if SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. For more information see SQL Server Books Online.
SQLSTATE: 08001, Native Error: 121
Error state: 1, Severity: 16
Error message: Named Pipes Provider: Could not open a connection to SQL Server [121]. 
DBPROP_INIT_DATASOURCE: np:\\.\pipe\LOCALDB#SHFE5C0E\tsql\query
DBPROP_INIT_CATALOG: master
DBPROP_AUTH_INTEGRATED: SSPI
Sure, I can just increase vss timeout (https://www.veeam.com/kb1377) but it's more a workaround than a solution. I want to narrow down the actual problem.

Case#02468456

Any ideas welcome,
Daniel
dbr
Expert
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Daniel Brase

Re: VSS Issues

Post by dbr »

I don't know if it is really related to the issue but a few days ago I noticed that one service with sql localdb was configured to automatic but wasn't start. I asked our software supplier if that was intended. They disabled the not used service and since then we have no errors. Maybe vss searches for sql instances which are configured for automatic startup and fails if the service cannot start.