Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
behd
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Az Erty

How-To Manually Repair a VMware Replica created by Veeam

Post by behd »

Dear,

One of my replication was failing with error "Detected an invalid snapshot configuration".
So I followed explanations in this excellent KB: https://www.veeam.com/kb1773
Did some cleanup, added back the VM to the replication job, but I'm now stuck on the last step.

How can I map to the replica in a replication job? I tried to google the topic on your site but all interesting information show me a seeding menu that does not exist in our version.
(NB. Using Veeam 9.5 so it's basically not supported by kb).

Has this menu disappeared? should I delete existing replica and restart with a full new replication?

Thanks,
-behd
csydas
Expert
Liked: 47 times
Full Name: Harvey Carel

Re: How-To Manually Repair a VMware Replica created by Veeam

Post by csydas »

Hey Az,

Make sure the "low bandwidth connection" option is set on the very first step of the job wizard: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95

Then it appears ;)
behd
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Az Erty

Post by behd »

Ok thanks for the tip! will change this directly.

-behd
arondan
Novice
Liked: 2 times

[MERGED] Help to delete single point of replication

Post by arondan »

Hello, we have the following situation:

We have a vm replicating to another host every 3 hours. One of the replications failed (we are still trying to figure out why) but then, subsequent runs do not delete the failed replication point, also all jobs for this machine continue to fail due to "invalid snapshot configuration", because in the replica there is a "Veeam Replica Working Snapshot" stuck. I cannot manually delete that from the vSphere console. If i go to veeam console in the Replication section I can "delete from disk" the failing point, it will delete all points and the replica machine and start over (losing all retention).

My question is, isnt there a way to only remove the failing replica point? (last created), so then the replication job can pickup before the error?

Thanks in advance,
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Hi Arondan,

Welcome to Veeam Community Forums and thanks for posting.

Please take a look at the KB mentioned above in this thread. Please pay attention to the Challenge notes.

Thanks and let us know how it goes.
arondan
Novice

Post by arondan »

Hi wishr thanks for your reply.

I tried the suggested KB unsucesfully. When it says:

1. Open the Snapshot manager and starting with the oldest snapshot delete the snapshots one at a time. The intention here is to get as much new information in to the base disks as possible. At some point there will be a snapshot that will not remove.

I cannot remove any snapshot, not the oldest, not the newest. (Every snapshot fails with the error "Fault cause: vim.fault.GenericVmConfigFault") Considering it says that at some point a snapshot will not remove, I pushed on the rest of the proposed solution.

Did all the steps until Datastore cleanup. There is a file for each snapshot that I could not delete. So no obvious cleanup to do. But I delete just the file for the last snapshot just for the sake of "cleaning" something. The last snapshot in the VM is the one that says "Veeam Replica Working Snapshot".

Finally I tried to create a "test" snapshot as indicated. The snapshot created correctly, but couldnt be removed. Failed with the same error.

Any other suggestion?
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr » 1 person likes this post

Hi Arondan,

Thanks for reverting back.

Could you please confirm that the following has been done prior to moving to the next steps?

Note: Prior to beginning:
  • Stop all replication jobs to target location of the replica in question.
  • Manually check each target side proxy for stuck replica hotadded disks. (Consider switching the target proxies to use Network transport mode to prevent this if it becomes a problem). See KB1775 for details.
If it's not an issue it might be better to ask our support engineers for assistance and request a Webex session.

Thanks
arondan
Novice

Post by arondan » 2 people like this post

Hi Wishr.

I really thank your response, dont know how but I missed to check for hotadded disks to proxys. That did the trick. That also led to found out, we are having overlapping jobs with the Proxy being replicated while also performing another replicattion. (thats a mess ofc)

However this overlapping is totally unexpected. As the job is starting automatically without the schedule enabling it. That left me pretty baffled. But im opening a new thread for this new problem.

Thanks!