Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
cffit
Veteran
Liked: 35 times
Full Name: Christensen Farms

Re: Backup Copy Jobs kicked off after Backup Job?

Post by cffit »

If I go with that method you list foggy, what do I do with the backup copy jobs I have setup in the VEEAM application? They tell it when to run, where to save them to, etc. I assume I still need these setup, but in order to have them I have to specify the copy interval here.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

You are not supposed to do anything with your existing backup copy jobs, as far as I can get. The command in the script will just add a post-job command that will trigger manual backup copy sync once the corresponding backup job is completed during the weekend. Then you can enable this command in the Saturday's script and disable in the second script that runs on Monday.
cffit
Veteran
Liked: 35 times
Full Name: Christensen Farms

Post by cffit » 1 person likes this post

So say for JOB01 on the weekdays the backup runs at 10PM and the backup copy interval is set to start at 11PM. Now on Saturday, the backup runs at 11AM. With your script added to my weekend script, the backup copy job would kick off after the 11AM backup completes which is what I want, but in the application it would still have the 11PM backup copy interval set in the main backup copy job. So it will run again at that time?

Feature Request:
How easy would this all be if the customer had the option in the copy interval section of a backup copy job to set it to "Run after backup".
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Right, manual synchronization will start a new interval that will finish at the start time of the specified synchronization interval. Then, the job will attempt to run again.

Feature request accepted.
ianmidge
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Ian Midgley

[MERGED] Triggering backup copy jobs to run after a backup j

Post by ianmidge »

We want to use backup copy jobs to maintain off-site backups. I was hoping to link each backup copy job to a backup job and schedule the backup copy job to run immediately after a backup job had completed, much like one can do for backup and replication jobs. Is this possible? If not, can I suggest it be added into the next version? I get that backup copy jobs and backup jobs can be linked but the scheduling of the backup copy job to be independent of the backup job just seems bizarre.
For example, I have some backup jobs that run on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays each week and the backup copy takes over 24 hours to complete. If I schedule the backup copy jobs to trigger every two days then that works for the first week but copy jobs in the second week start 24 hours out of step and so fail. Similarly I have jobs that run weekly with a backup copy interval of 7 days. This works okay but only if we manually launch the first run on the day of the week that we want it to run and I don't have much confidence that it will stay in sync with the backup job. Wouldn't it make far more sense for Backup Copy jobs to have the same scheduling options as exist for Replication jobs, in particular being able to use the completion of another job to trigger them?
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Triggering backup copy jobs to run after a backup job

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Ian,

You can use post-job script to achieve what you're after.
Your topic was merged to the similar discussion.
Please review this thread as it contains the necessary information. Thanks!
ianmidge
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Ian Midgley

Post by ianmidge »

Brilliant - I will try that. If this was accepted as a feature request in 2015 is there any update on when it might be implemented?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Cannot give any particular ETA. We prioritize features based on the number of requests and value to the product.