Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
nuri
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Nuri

Veeam Repository cannot be deleted.

Post by nuri »

We have been testing our systems with Veeam Backup&Replication Server.
Sometime ago, I faced a situation as of below;
One of my "Veeam Reprository" started to give message when I tried to delete it, as of; "Can not be deleted, one or more "JOB NAME" is still using this "Repository".
Actually, I am very sure that the "Veeam Reprository" has no "Veeam Database Configuration" links to itself when you use "Veeam Management UI".
I tried various techniques to broke this configuration bonding but ı couldn't succeeded.
There it is the ZOMBIE Repository, laughing to my face, telling ; you can not ever delete me !!!
I have taken a decision to dive into Veeam SQL database with my MS SQL Management Studio.
I started to search every table in the database and found interesting tables and columns in the tables.
The first table, I found interesting is the "dbo.BackupRepositories". In that table, I found my ZOMBIE Veeam depot.
At the row of the Zombie repository, the first column is the "ID" as of "Identification Number" of the illegal Veeam Depot.
I copied that long string to my notepad and continued my journey into the Veeam DB.
I faced, the very important table as; "dbo.BJobs".
First, at the first columns as the "Name" column, I found my "Replication Job" that is related to my Zombie Depot.
İn that table, at far right columns, I faced the column as " initialsync_repository_id".
In that column, at the row of my suspicious "Replication Job" row, I found the "ID" as of "Identification Number" of the illegal Veeam Depot. BINGO !!!!

At last, when I edited that "ID String" to zero values similar to other rows at that column, I safely deleted the "ZOMBIE VEEAM REPOSITORY"

There is my finding, if you have found my article valuable and interesting, I will be glad to hear your critics and evaluations.

Have a nice Weekend.

Nuri.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Veeam Repository cannot be deleted.

Post by Dima P. »

Hello and welcome to the community Nuri.

Thank you for sharing your issue and possible resolution.

For all newcomers, please keep in mind that it's not recommended to manually edit backup server database. Whenever you feel it's required - it's better to consult with out support team to avoid potential data loss.
csydas
Expert
Liked: 47 times
Full Name: Harvey Carel

Post by csydas »

Quite a story.

Out of curiosity Nuri, do you have an old unused Replica sitting at "Replicas > Ready"? Likely it's that with some metadata left-over on the repo.

Edit: Or, rather, did you "have" one?
nuri
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Nuri

Post by nuri »

Thanks for the commentary,

Yes , there were "Replication Job Objects" related to that "Zombie Repository" at the "Replicas > Ready" section.
Though that, I have safely removed them from the "Configuration Database", I couldn't even deleted that sticky Depo.
So, I firstly backuped the Veeam DB and then, dived into the Veeam DB for the solution.

Regards,