Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
giupri
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Giuseppe Priore

expired data

Post by giupri »

Dear all,

I set retention to 1 year but on Veeam Explorer I am still seeing 2016 mails: how is it possible? For example in sent items of my mailbox I have a lot of 2016 mails and I see some of them (not all though) with Veeam Explorer. It seems not reliable.
How is the real logic Veeam o365 use to mark mails as expired?
Support told me that maybe Veeam for o365 considers in a not-usual way if there are "reply" to a mail: basically according to them it as it Veeam for o365 changes date to first initial mail (for example if I send a mail on January, somebody replies and I reply again on June, first mail is marked as it is sent on June so 1 year retention starts from June even if Veeam for o365 shows it correctly on January), but is it really possible?
For sure I noticed that in 2017 I moved some mails of mine of 2016 to a backupped PST online (aka "Online Archive") and they are still there in the backup. According to Veeam Support with 1 year retention it is wrong and it is due to big improvements of expiration side mgmt to be performed. Can I consider recoverable these data or I have to consider really expired these even I see with Veeam Explorer?

Thank you in advance.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: expired data

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Giuseppe,

I might misunderstand you here so please correct me. The way the retention works is that it looks at the date of the object. A mail that has been changed is in fact a new object with a new date (the date of the change) so if the mail is received in 2016 but changed (a delete is also a change) in 2017 then it would still fall within the timeline.

Another possibility that might be considered is that maybe the retention cleanup has not run. What is the setting on your repository?
Last question: Can you tell me the support case ID so I can do further investigation?

Thanks
Mike
giupri
Influencer

Post by giupri »

Thank you Mike again for your reply. These are the answers to your questions:
1- I understand "delete is also a change" but what about "replies"? In case I send a mail on January 2017, somebody replies on May 2017 and I reply again on June 2017 and I have retention set to 1 year, in backup have I to find first mail I send on January? I suppose to have second and third mails only. Again, is move also a change?
2- how can I check if retention cleanup ran finely? Is there a log? Is there any way to start it manually? On repository I set "1 year" as "Retention policy for mailbox items" and "Apply retention policy" as "Everyday, at 2am"
3- Support case id is #02624924.
Thank you in advance.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hey Giuseppe,

Let me check a few things with the team. I will try to get back to you as soon as possible (but I am jumping on planes again this week so please be patient with me :-))

Thanks
Mike
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Giuseppe,

After doing some testing and some research, we noticed that it is actually correct the behavior you are seeing. We tested mail threads and we noticed that the modification date of the original email also changed to the latest date. You can actually check it yourself. In Outlook, if you are in inbox (or any folder actually) and you select an email, press <ctrl>-<Enter> and you will be able to see the created date (original date of sending/ receiving) and last modified date (date of last reply or similar)
giupri
Influencer

Post by giupri »

You're right Mike! Forwarding a mail changes date of "original" forwarded mail, so Veeam behaviour is right!

Can you support me with point 2 as well? I asked:
2- how can I check if retention cleanup ran finely? Is there a log? Is there any way to start it manually? On repository I set "1 year" as "Retention policy for mailbox items" and "Apply retention policy" as "Everyday, at 2am"

Thank you for supporting.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Giuseppe,

Did you got information from support? Honestly I do not know where to look for that. They will know it better.
Thanks
Mike