Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
archonnn
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: IOANNIS ARCHONTIDIS

Synthetic Full backup space requirements

Post by archonnn »

Hello there,

If my understanding is correct, in order to perform a synthetic full backup with 1 restore point, you need at least 2x the size of your backup as free disk space, either on a local storage or cloud connect? VAW will create a new synthetic backup on scheduled day, and after completion will then delete the previous .vbk along with its incrementals? I just need confirmation on this. Also, is it considered good to perform only synthetic full backups weekly, or should I perform an active full at some point? Will this require extra disk space, or, since I have configured my backup with 1 restore point, after completion of the active full the previous chain will be deleted?

Thank you in advance :)
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Synthetic Full backup space requirements

Post by Dima P. »

Hello and welcome to the community forums archonnn.

Please review Synthetic Full Backup and Active Full Backup chapters of our Help Center and let us know if you still have any questions. Thank you.
archonnn
Service Provider

Post by archonnn »

From the synthetic backup chapter I can understand that probably, a scheduled job for a synthetic backup will first create the new .vbk and then delete the old one. I have configured a backup job to Cloud Connect with 400GB quota on a client though, and noticed the following:
Total file size is 350GB. After compression(set to high) the restore point results in 253GB. I have configured the agent to run every night, so its keeping a daily incremental file. I configured it for a weekly synthetic full (active full is disabled) every Sunday. Normally, this would try and create another .vbk file before deleting the previous one, but that would result in a total of ~507GB. The second backup completed succesfully. I didnt receive a notification about exceeding the aforementioned quota. Is this normal?

In regards to my question about the active full, if I set an active full(in addition to the synthetic full),say, monthly, would I need an extra 250GB of space, or the whole job will work as one chain? At the specific day of the month set, will the active full backup create a .vbk without deleting the previous one, or will it function as part of the chain? I cant clarify this from the documentation, thats why I resorted to the forums.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

archonnn,
From the synthetic backup chapter I can understand that probably, a scheduled job for a synthetic backup will first create the new .vbk and then delete the old one.
Synthetic full creates a full backup based on incremental restore point for the given day. Older backup chain wont be deleted unless the last incremental backup is expired.
Total file size is 350GB. After compression(set to high) the restore point results in 253GB. I have configured the agent to run every night, so its keeping a daily incremental file. I configured it for a weekly synthetic full (active full is disabled) every Sunday. Normally, this would try and create another .vbk file before deleting the previous one, but that would result in a total of ~507GB. The second backup completed succesfully. I didnt receive a notification about exceeding the aforementioned quota. Is this normal?
Do you have access to Veeam Cloud Connect? If possible, please check the exact backup chain size.
In regards to my question about the active full, if I set an active full(in addition to the synthetic full),say, monthly, would I need an extra 250GB of space, or the whole job will work as one chain?
No. Periodic full backup (active full or synthetic full) will switch backup mode to Forward Incremental Backup. Keep in mind that this backup mode will store more restore points that you specified in retention settings: Forward Incremental Backup Retention Policy.
archonnn
Service Provider

Post by archonnn »

Hello Dima, thanks for the swift reply. The only question that remains is why I dont exceed my 400gb quota on Veeam Cloud Connect. Yes, I have access to it and the total backup size is 256G. Wont that size exceed my quota when it is ready to create the next synthetic full? Reminder: I have 1 restore point set.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello archonnn,

I believe this should not be a problem. Your actual backup size is periodically recalculated by Cloud Connect and should not cause problems while backup job is running.
archonnn
Service Provider

Post by archonnn »

Ok then, thanks a lot for your help! :D