Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
meetoo
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: A Stewart

Oracle server protection

Post by meetoo »

Running Veeam ver 9.5. We have a physical Oracle server that is configured for RMAN. We have installed the Veeam Windows Agent on the server. The Oracle VSS writer is enabled on the server.

We have not enabled ‘Application Aware Processing’ on the Oracle server backup job.

Our goal is to provide necessary flat files to the Oracle DBA in the event they need to restore the database. Do we need to do anything further to protect this server?

Thanks
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Oracle server protection

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Veeam does not produce flat file. If you want to have transactionally consistent backup of your Oracle server, you need to enable Application-Aware processing. If you additionally enable "archived log backup" option then you'll be able to rollback your database to the specific point in time.

Thanks
meetoo
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: A Stewart

Post by meetoo »

When I say 'flat file', I am referring to the files created by the RMAN backup. Our plan was to restore the RMAN backup files for the DBA, who has indicated that will give them what they need to restore the database to a specific date. With our previous backup software, we had to stop the Oracle VSS writer service else the backup would fail. Does that writer play a role here if we are not doing app-aware backups? Thx
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

"I undrestood that reference" :) I thought that you were looking for ways to configure Veeam so that it produces flat files for you.

You can perform File-Level recovery of flat files from the backup. Just make sure that the backup does not start until the flat file has been completely written. Otherwise you might end up with a partially completed flat file in your backup.

No, Oracle VSS writer basically just warns your Oracle instance about incoming VSS snapshot so the application can prepare. If you haven't checked Aplication Aware processing, then Oracle VSS won't be needed.

Thanks