Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Wad4iPod
Enthusiast
Liked: never

Backup VM's - Size calculation ?

Post by Wad4iPod »

My VEEAM Backup job backs up 2 VM's. The VMDK calculation in the 'Virtual Machines to Backup' selection window was previously was 270GB. I now select the recalculate and the result for the 2 VM's is 80gb and 90GB for a total of 170GB.
The Exclusions for both VM's are not set. I checked and they're set to process All Disks.

My System disk (VMDK) for each VM are 80GB and 90GB.

The VEEAM Appliction was upgraded from 4.X to the latest 5.x

I am wondering if the calculation is for just Data and not empty space.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Backup VM's - Size calculation ?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

And what is the question? Can you reproduce these calculations where you had 270 GBs?
Is it possible that someone has removed the disk from VMs' configuration?

Basically, calculations are based on VMs' used storage. Assuming that you have 170 GBs, you should have thick disks, correct?
Wad4iPod
Enthusiast

Post by Wad4iPod »

Nothing has changed with the VM's. They are live production.

What I did was add a new backup job. When it calculated the results, I noticed it was 170GB rather than the 270 GB results list in me previous job(s). I then recalculated the other jobs (there were two) and they both changed to the 170 GB total.

The Windows 7 Pro x64 VEEAM system has been updated with Windows 7 sp1; and other recent Windows updates.
Wad4iPod
Enthusiast

Post by Wad4iPod »

Hi Vitaliy,

VIA vSphere client I checked the provisioned storage for each VM and vSphere reflected the 80 GB(VM1) and 90GB (VM2) provisioned space. I then refreshed each VM's storage usage and it refreshed to represent correctly all VMDK's (thick) that it should.
I then recalculated in VEEAM BU Job and things are reflected accurately there as well.

Thank you,
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

The good news is that you have accurate information in all jobs now :)

But I cannot tell went wrong in your previous jobs without further details. Let's do the following - if you happen to see it once again, just take someone from our support team to take a look at this.

Have a nice weekend!