Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
cseeliger
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Christoph Seeliger

Feature Request: Advanced Guest Interaction Proxy Assignment

Post by cseeliger »

Hello Veeam team,

I have a feature request: It would be great to have the possibility to assign guest interaction proxies (GIPs) to groups of VMs in the same job.

Some words to the background:
One of my customers is running a network security concept consisting of network zones divided by firewalls with several VLANs in every network zone. All VLANs within the same network zone are routed without a firewall in between. The Veeam jobs are using VMware VM folders as scope for the backups and VM tags for exceptions in backup, guest processing and indexing. To leverage guest processing customer has deployed a GIP in one of the VLANs in each network zone. For each network zone existing in the scope of a single backup job, the correct GIP for that zone is configured in the job.

And here is the challenge:
If a VM resides in in the same network zone but in a different VLAN than the configured GIP, it's pure coincidence, if the correct GIP is used or not.

It would be great if I could assign GIPs according to VMtags for example. Then we could define VM tags fo each VLAN, assign these to the VMs and assign the GIPs in Veeam on the base of that.

Best regards
Christoph
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Feature Request: Advanced Guest Interaction Proxy Assign

Post by foggy »

Hi Christoph, thanks for the feedback, makes sense. Btw, network connection to the VM is not generally required, since runtime process performing VM guest processing can also be deployed over VIX.
cseeliger
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Christoph Seeliger

Post by cseeliger »

Hi Alexander,

thank you for your quick response! My experience with VIX is not the best as it does not seem to be very reliable. And afaik the usage of .\administrator or disabling UAC is necessary, correct? Or is it possible to use VIX with a service user in an active directory?

Best regards
Christoph
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Correct, disabling UAC or using built-in account is a requirement for VIX.