Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
ekisner
Expert
Liked: 34 times
Full Name: Erik Kisner

Strange Question on Performance

Post by ekisner »

So we usually back up our SQL servers with VAW directly to B&R, which has a LUN presented from a storage array (same rack) over 8Gbit FC. Array was plenty fast, and in every case it was the production array that was the bottleneck (>90%).

As a bandaid fix for our VAW coverage when said storage outright failed, I set up a CIFS repo at my colo, and added it to the B&R library.

Previously, with no throttling involved, the jobs ran reasonably, roughly 170-190MB/s each.

First run to this CIFS repo was on Friday, and the jobs were running between 250-300MB/s each. It was so fast that it saturated my WAN (direct fibre), something I've never been able to do before. I'm not complaining about the saturation, I just turned on some throttling and that is gone. I'm just curious how something that should have been slower was able to go not just faster but WAY faster?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: Strange Question on Performance

Post by PTide »

Hi,
I set up a CIFS repo at my colo, and added it to the B&R library.
Which server did you assigned the role of a CIFS-gateway to? Was it VBR or some WIndows machine at the remote colo?

Thanks