Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jgq85
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: JGQ85

Advice on utilizing Exagrid backup targets?

Post by jgq85 »

I have a VMWare environment with around 100 VMs and we use Veeam Backup & Replication Enterprise.
We bought an Exagrid, and then to “scale” once that filled up, Exagrid sold us another one.
I’m a bit confused however. I thought that the Exagrids worked together? As far as I can tell, they’re effectively entirely different backup repositories. Are they not supposed to consolidate landing zones and back end storage?
Now I have to adjust different backup jobs to change their repository to the other Exagrid repository which is adding management complexity.
It doesn’t seem like scalability...
Any advice/suggestions? Is Veeam supposed to be configured in a way to merge the Exagrid’s because their software doesn’t appear to have a way of doing that.
csydas
Expert
Liked: 47 times
Full Name: Harvey Carel

Re: Advice on utilizing Exagrid backup targets?

Post by csydas »

Do you have an Enterprise License for Veeam? If so, you can make the Exagrids into a Scale Out Backup Repository. They'll act as a logical unit.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95

Read the placement stuff carefully, as it can be a little wonky on how it decides to do placement, but this is how we do it for our primary storage; just slap a new storage in and make an Extent on the SOBR.

Dunno if Exagrid itself has a way of handling this with the Exagrids, but this has worked for us well.
SimonS
Influencer
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Simon Setina

Re: Advice on utilizing Exagrid backup targets?

Post by SimonS »

jgq85 wrote: ...
I’m a bit confused however. I thought that the Exagrids worked together? As far as I can tell, they’re effectively entirely different backup repositories. Are they not supposed to consolidate landing zones and back end storage?
that.
Did you put second box in grid (cluster) with the first one?

First box is always hub node, all the others in grid act as spoke. If you have two hubs, you have two different grids, so they are not aware of one another.

https://www.elasticsky.de/en/2018/07/ex ... pliance/2/