Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
dcolpitts
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Dean Colpitts

Unsupported VBM format when attempting restore

Post by dcolpitts »

So I left for a conference two weeks ago and prior to leaving, I did a complete backup of my notebook to an RDX cartridge using 2.1.0.423 Workstation Edition (I'm 99.9999% sure this was the version I used). While away, I had total Windows 10 failure and Windows would no longer boot. Copying the backup chain from home to hotel wasn't an option (the full backup chain is 1.7TB), so I said screw it, booted into WinPE and copied what I absolutely needed to keep to my secondary drive, then I proceeded to reinstall Windows, setup all my applications again, and copy my data back over from my secondary drive. Then I reinstalled 2.1.0.423, installed my Workstation Edition license and backed up my C drive to an image on my 4TB D drive, just in case the boot issue reoccurred while I was away.

I finally got home today and I have a few files I need to restore - so I plugged in my RDX drive and inserted my cartridge, and from the system tray, selected Restore Individual Items. By default the restore selection is going to the backup (and VBM) that got created on my D drive while I was away. If I hit the back button to get to Backup Location and select the VBM on my RDX cartridge, I get "Unsupported VBM format".

I had an older backup on the RDX cartridge from September from a previous Windows install in a different folder and I'm able to open it though, but it doesn't have the files I need.

Any ideas?

dcc
MichaelCade
Veeam Software
Liked: 74 times
Full Name: Michael Cade

Re: Unsupported VBM format when attempting restore

Post by MichaelCade »

I would raise a support call, the guys should be able to steer you to recover those files regardless of the vbm file.
Regards,

Michael Cade
Global Technologist
Veeam Software
Email: Michael.Cade@Veeam.com
Twitter: @MichaelCade1
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

I agree with Michael. Also, please post the support case ID here for follow-up and the outcome after the investigation of our engineers

thanks
Mike
Fr0zzeN
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by Fr0zzeN »

Hey Guys,
I got a Problem with an unsupported VBM Format aswell. I´m working for a Company and we got complete Backups to save us some time, while setting up a new PC. Everything worked fine until yesterday. I tried to install the backup on the PC and it said "Unsupported VBM format". We used the same Backup and the same Version together before without any Problems.

Looking forward to here from you.

Regards,
Erik
Keke
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Keke

Post by Keke »

Same problem occurs when I try to do File/Volume Level Restore. Can't restore anything. Haven't restored anything in months, last time it worked with no problems. Using the up to date version Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows 2.0.0.700 - Free Edition.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Erik, Keke,

First: Welcome to the forums. Unfortunately I can't give you a solution because this could be related to many things. As stated above, please create a support call so our engineers can dive through the logs. Even with free edition you get support (although it comes with no SLA, based on best effort basis but we will get back to you).

Also, please state the support ID here and let us know the outcome after the investigation with the support engineers

Thanks
Mike