Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
kenwardc
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Chris Kenward

Veeam 5.1 file restore

Post by kenwardc »

Hi Folks

Brand new to both Veeam products (still in 30 day trial stage) and to this forum.

I'm using Backup and Replication on a Windows 2008 Std server which is running as a VM on a VMware Essentials host. There are in total 10 VMs on the host, some Windows and some Linux (CentOS) OS.

I have a situation where I need to move some files from IIS 6 on a Windows 2003 server to a site on a CentOS 5.5 server running Apache. I would have thought that, using this product, the process would be simple, but so far I can't get to grips with it.

I choose Guest OS File Restore from the Restore menu (Windows)
Up pops the file browser.
I choose the folder I want to restore.

I'm only offered a "copy" option to copy the files to a local drive. I need to be able to copy the files to the OS filesystem of another VM. Surely this is possible using this product?

Any help would be gratefully received.

Cheers
Chris
kenwardc
Novice

Re: Veeam 5.1 file restore

Post by kenwardc »

Just as an update - I noticed there is a File Copy selection on the top menu, so chose that. It appears to give me the ability to copy from the local disk only but as a step in the right direction, it did give me the opportunity to choose where I wanted to copy the files to on the Linux server. Chose the files and created the job but after 13 seconds the job said "Successful" and stopped. However, the files weren't copied....

So back to the drawing board?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

You can restore files back to Windows VM (by specifying path via admin share) or Linux VM (by picking Linux server added to the Servers tree) right from file level restore browser. If you cannot figure out how to do this from UI and/or documentation, feel free to contact support and they will guide you through the process over the webex. Thanks.
kenwardc
Novice

Post by kenwardc »

Thanks, Anton. I was hoping to have someone tell me, from the description of what I did, if I did anything incorrectly. The process I followed was intuitive and I thought I'd done everything as it should have been done but, for some reason, the files were not copied from the Windows backup to the Linux server folder I chose and, after about 13 seconds, the job simply stopped with "successful" but with no files actually transferred.

I guess I'm asking if this is something that's happened before to someone else and, if so, if there is something glaringly obvious I'm doing wrong.

Cheers
Chris
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

No... and I would be surprised if there were issues with this functionality, because we would heard about them by now for sure. File Copy stuff comes from FastSCP which is used by over 150K users and for years... so this could be just something special about your environment which makes it not work (or look like it does not work).

But again, you do NOT need to use File Copy job on the top menu to achieve what you are trying to do... you can restore to correct destination right from Backup Browser window.

Thanks.
kenwardc
Novice

Post by kenwardc »

Can you tell me the best way to do that? Straight from the browser window, I mean?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Please refer to page 98 of the User Guide, under Step 7 : Save Restored File. Just pick your original Linux VM as destination.