Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Wector
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Tim Pfeiffenberger

Feature Request: Show used Proxy in the Actionlist

Post by Wector »

Hi,
we recently had an issue with our Backup: Some VMs could not be backed up anymore. The Error from the Action was:

12.03.2018 17:01:03 :: Processing Lippe**** Error: Cannot get service content.
Soap fault. TimeoutDetail: 'connect failed in tcp_connect()', endpoint: 'https://lippe****.*****-lippe.de:443/sdk'
SOAP connection is not available. Connection ID: [lippe****.****-lippe.de].
Failed to create NFC download stream. NFC path: [nfc://conn:lippe****.*****-lippe.de,nfchost:host-161,stg:datastore-216@Lippe***/Lippe***.vmx].

so normaly we search the KB and then try to connect to the vcenter from the veeam-server itself. Everything worked fine. After some testing we look at the configured proxy-servers and see that just some of them had the problem. It was because we changes the NIC-Settings an did not provide a gateway so the proxy-server could not reatch the vcenter.

I think that when the used proxyserver could be named in the action (in the job itself not only in the log) it could be mutch easier to solve this problem.

Best Regards
Tim
csydas
Expert
Liked: 47 times
Full Name: Harvey Carel

Re: Feature Request: Show used Proxy in the Actionlist

Post by csydas »

Hey Tim,

Doesn't it do this already? In my job lists, I see which proxy it tries to use for what on each VM during the snapshot phase. It's kind of buried in information (please Veeam let us customize the UI with an .config file to include UI highlighting), but it should be there.

My only beef is that you can't get clarity on what server is writing to CIFS/SMB shares when the gateway is set to Automatic. That would speed up troubleshooting tons.

Maybe add like a --verboseHTML flag for Veeam to start with? (or, you know guys, a .config file! :) )
Wector
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Tim Pfeiffenberger

Re: Feature Request: Show used Proxy in the Actionlist

Post by Wector »

Hi,
you can see that info AFTER "getting VM info from vSphere". But when the Job stuck in that step: You will only see the "proxy" in the logs, not in the Gui, neither in the "error message"!
Best Regards
Tim