Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
resident1155
Lurker
Liked: never

question about veeam proxy throttling

Post by resident1155 »

Hello, my company has been using Veeam Backup and Replication for our backup solution and are pleased with the results. We recently started doing offsite backups across a WAN link and have been seeing inconsistencies in bandwidth consumption when monitoring traffic even though throttling settings have remained the same throughout. We have a Veeam Backup and Replication server onsite and a Proxy server offsite and are backing up virtual machines from the offsite location to the onsite location. Below are the steps that I have taken so far. My observations are listed below the steps.

[*]Setup Veeam Proxy throttling where source = DHCP ip range at offsite location and target = DHCP ip range at onsite location
[*]Set throttling = 2.5Mbps (it will only display 2 but i'm fairly certain that it accepts the decimal)
[*]Setup max concurrent tasks = 2
[*]Performed 5 backup jobs of 2 VMs each, many of these VMs have multiple disks. It's also worth noting that all of these VMs were powered down and technically had no IP address.
[*]Storage Optimization is set to "WAN target" in the backup job's advanced > storage settings

Observations:
[*]With the jobs where the VMs were powered down during backup, bandwidth consumption was roughly 5Mbps as observed on our network monitoring appliance at the offsite location. My assumption was that since max concurrent tasks = 2 and throttling is set at 2.5Mbps that each task is treated/throttled separately.
[*]When backing up live VMs, it seems that with max concurrent tasks = 2 and throttling set at 2.5Mbps that only ~2.5Mbps bandwidth consumption was observed on our network monitoring appliance.
[*]It's also worth noting that concurrent tasks were taking place when the bandwidth was observed on our network appliance.

Has anyone experienced this? My hunch is that the powered down VMs are being throttled differently, possibly because they don't have an IP address.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: question about veeam proxy throttling

Post by foggy »

Just to check (since you're mentioning VM IP addresses, while throttling is configured for the proxy servers, not VMs that are being backed up): do proxy and backup servers themselves also fall into the source and target IP ranges respectively?