Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
The BackupMan
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Niek Wegh

Pre/Post scripts are not get a failed status

Post by The BackupMan »

So, I've got an archive application and I have to backup this VM's with veeam now. The only valid backup is a backup I will make if the application is in "backup mode". So I did make some Pre and Post scripts to check if the application is in "backup mode" To my surprise these scripts are only sending a warning merssage and start the backups of those VM's. And that's what I don not want to happen.
I need Pre/Post scripts that are sending a failure messages end quit the backup at once.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Pre/Post scripts are not get a failed status

Post by foggy »

Hi Niek, do you mean your scripts do not return error code upon failing application quiescence? Are you able to modify the script and force it to return some error code? Alternatively, you could stop the job from the script itself, using VeeamPSSnapin.
The BackupMan
Novice

Post by The BackupMan »

Hi Foggy, My pre and post scripts are generating error codes from -3 to 5, but the effect on the backupjob is still the same. It is ending in a warning status and a backup is always made of the VM's. And that is someting I don't want to happen.
First problem is, that there is barely any documentation how to use pre/post scripts en how they are working. The seccond problem is, if a run a pre or post script that is generating an error code, the backup should not get the status warning, but the status failed!
And if after running the pre script the status is failed, do not make a backup of the VM's. Because this backups are worthless.
So, is it possible that this can be fixed in nearby future by Veeam?
(DataProtector makes it also possible to put your own messages in the backup logfile! another nice feature to implement?)
The BackupMan
Novice

Post by The BackupMan »

Hi Veeam Software Guys,
What's your reaction on my post Feb 6 2018 12:29 pm?
What can I expect to happen according the functionality of pre/post scripts?
csydas
Expert
Liked: 47 times
Full Name: Harvey Carel

Post by csydas »

Hey Niek,

Not a green poster, but what if you quiesced or used AAP for the machine and set these scripts as pre-freeze/post-thaw? Looking at the user guide, they allow you to set behavior on script error.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95

Would that work?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Right, using pre-freeze/post-thaw scripts is a more proper way to quiesce the application than pre/post-job scripts.