Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
Christoph Zollner
Lurker
Liked: never

Backup AWS instances to on-prem

Post by Christoph Zollner »

Hi,

we would like to protect our AWS Snapshot from deliberate deletion.
Unfortunately, AWS does not offer this option. We also do not want to create a second separate account there.

We had in mind backing up the instances to our local Veeam repository.

We already use Veeam Backup Essentials for VMware and believe that Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows could do the job.

My question now is, how do I connect both places securely without a VPN. Here are all ports (https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95) but I haven t really understood the procedure yet and how to secure it.

intuitively I would set the agent to the option "VeeamCloudConnect repository" because it runs nicely encrypted over port 6180 but unfortunately I can't, because we don't have a Veeam Cloud Connect service provider license.

Can someone help here.

Could Veeam Availability for AWS also do this job?
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Backup AWS instances to on-prem

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Our N2W solutions could help over time in this scenario.

At the moment you can install an Agent there and backup to a Veeam Repository. You need the. B&R Server and Repository Server connectable (over VPN). This is the best setup for you.

Another option would be to backup to Cloud Connect provider, or you can contact your partner and option a cloud connect enterprise license. This path has some contract dependencies.
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Re: Backup AWS instances to on-prem

Post by jmmarton »

The N2WS solution may be a better fit. One reason is that if you backup those instances to your on-premises Veeam repository you will have egress charges from Amazon for all that data leaving AWS. You won't have to worry about that if you use the N2WS solution.

As to connectivity if you decide to backup locally, an alternative to a traditional VPN is Veeam Powered Network (Veeam PN).

https://www.veeam.com/blog/veeam-pn-gen ... lable.html

It's positioned more for Azure because of our direct restore capability and that it's available in the Azure marketplace but since it's also available as a soft appliance I don't see any reason why you couldn't deploy it into AWS. At that point it's all web-based to deploy a software-defined WAN solution.

Joe