Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
mbroaders
Service Provider
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Martin Broaders

Azure Site Recovery compatability

Post by mbroaders »

I have a client who wishes to use Veeam for local backups and Azure Site Recovery for replication. From what i can see in previous forum posts that there is a likelihood of having issues here with this solution. I just wanted to check if this is still the case and to see if there would be any chance that this solution could be supported? The second option i have is Zerto which i believe will work alongside Veeam due to it not requiring snapshots.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Azure Site Recovery compatability

Post by veremin »

Some issues are expected if activities initiated by both solutions overlap. Otherwise, everything should go smoothly, I believe.

However, as far as I'm concerned, ASR has only periodic type of schedule without possibility to set a backup window. Due to that it would be rather hard to schedule ASR and VB&R jobs the way they do not collide.

Thanks.
mbroaders
Service Provider

Post by mbroaders »

Thanks for the reply. Can't seem to find anything in the Microsoft documentation about incompatibilities with other backup products. If there were an issue with Veeam then surely there would be the same issue with DPM/Azure Backup?
challengelogic
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: challengelogic

Post by challengelogic »

We found that VBR 9.5 and Azure ASR don't work together - using Hyper-V 2016 anyway. What we found was when VBR 9.5 does it's backup routines it will create a Checkpoint in Hyper-V (which is fine), however every 15 mins (the Azure ASR RPO policy) ASR also attempts to create a Checkpoint as well.... when the two overlap we ended up with a heap of 'differencing disks - child & parent disks). The disk chain was many layers deep. Therefore this solution didn't work for us. Do Veeam offer a 'Replication to Azure' solution? This doesn't seem to be an issue with VMware (as the hypervisor) due to the fact the ASR replication mechanism works by installing an ASR Config Server on VMware which does 'near-zero' byte replication and doesn't rely upon any form of Snapshots (Checkpoints in Hyper-V world).
mbroaders
Service Provider

Post by mbroaders »

I have Hyper-V 2016 with Veeam 9.5 and Azure Site Recovery running without seeing the same issues you are experiencing challengelogic. We do have ASR set for every 15 minutes and app consistent checkpoints for every 4 hours. Veeam backups run once a day apart from SQL transaction log backups every hour. I dont see any differencing disks within the environment, has been running for 2-3 months.

I couldn't find anything from Microsoft however to say what they support or don't support alongside Azure Site Recovery for backups. It would be great to get clarity on this.
challengelogic
Novice
Full Name: challengelogic

Post by challengelogic »

Thank you - after extensive testing in a lab environment I found that these DO play nicely together. There must have been a different issue.
mbroaders
Service Provider

Post by mbroaders »

Great to hear, you had me worried for a bit!
ChrisJ83Knights
Enthusiast
Full Name: Chris Johnson

[MERGED] Replicate to two different locations

Post by ChrisJ83Knights »

Morning all

We are just planning what our disaster recovery is going to be going forward, currently we backup locally and send backup copy jobs to a remote office.

Going forward we would like to introduce replication, this would ideally incorporate ASR, are we able to replicate to two locations for example so locally using Veeam and to ASR? Is this a usual scenario?

Our thought process is the ASR replication would cover us for if we lost the site with which the servers are housed and we can continue working from other offices.

The local replication is if we were to lose one server locally we could continue and only lose around 15 minutes of data, as opposed to instant VM recovery whereby we would lose all data since the last backup.

Any help/advice appreciated.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Hi Chris,

Using ASR and Veeam should play nicely, however please take a look at some potential challenges with job scheduling from our existing customers.

Hope this helps!
ChrisJ83Knights
Enthusiast
Full Name: Chris Johnson

Post by ChrisJ83Knights »

Hi

Sorry for the delay in responding to this post, I think my requirements are slightly different.

I was hoping to replicate the VM locally via Veeam B&R AND ASR, it doesn't sound possible to me and would be quite I/O intensive?

What I am looking for is described in the below article and is classed as Extended Replication in Server 2012 R2

http://www.msserverpro.com/configuring- ... r-2012-r2/