Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
alevi7856
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Alain Lévi

Unable to install Veeam despite a 3-hour Veeam assistance

Post by alevi7856 »

Hello,

I have a physical server (WS2012R2) that hosts two VMs (one for the DC and the other one for my business apps and files) and backing up this configuration (including the VMs) every night is a main concern to me.
Reason why I wanted to give a try to Veeam (free edition first and then, possibly, to purchase it).

However, everytime I try to install Veeam Backup and Replication 9.5 on the physical machine, it keeps giving me an install error (see snapshot below).

I contacted Veeam support (France) and they tried to help me out, but to no avail.
They spent three hours on my system (via TeamViewer), they created a new administrator-right account (thinking the main 'Administrator' was corrupt ... ), they tried to uninstall then reinstall all SQL drivers that are requested (and automatically installed) by Veeam, but still ... same installation error !.

I am now stuck with a simple basic ' freshly installed ' WS2012R2 configuration (nothing tricky or bloated over time !) on which the Veeam 9.5 software can't possibly be installed.
Any help here ?

Thanks
Alain

All logs and snapshots are here : https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1b0vnlii4hl8 ... Rg1Fa?dl=0

foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Unable to install Veeam despite a 3-hour Veeam assistanc

Post by foggy »

Hi Alain, what is the support case ID for this issue?
alevi7856
Novice

Post by alevi7856 »

Hi Foggy,

Case #02673930

It should be noted that when the Veeam support left me yesterday (after 3 hours of maintenance), I was supposed to uninstall ***all*** instances of SQL Express from the WS2012R2 installed programs and re-run the VBR9.5 setup.
I did that but once again it led to a failed install.

I then informed Veeam support (as planned) but so far they never contacted me again (be it by email or phone like yesterday).

I am in a dire straits :( !

Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Please request an update and ask for further investigation. But keep in mind that during evaluation period support is provided based on staff availability.
alevi7856
Novice

Post by alevi7856 »

I already have ... but I will again !
---
I think that the "evaluation period" should not be underestimated by Veeam as this is a critical period during which customers build confidence !
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

It is not underestimated, but we need to keep some balance to satisfy both new and existing customers.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev »

alevi7856 wrote:I think that the "evaluation period" should not be underestimated by Veeam as this is a critical period during which customers build confidence !
You are right of course, except you're currently not in the evaluation period from Veeam's processes perspective. All we know is that you're using the Free Edition. I suggest you initiate product download from the non-free B&R page, doing this will send the trial license to you automatically. With this license, you will be eligible for Standard support during your official evaluation period (business hours, same priority as paying customers with Standard support). Thanks!
alevi7856
Novice

Post by alevi7856 » 2 people like this post

Hello Gostev and Foggy,
A bit of update concerning Veeam support :
They contacted me again this afternoon, launched another remote assistance session on my HyperV host (WS2012R2) and tried to uninstall/reinstall .NET FW, uninstalled Acronis 11.7, tried to run a lodctr.exe /R command etc ... etc ... all this to no avail.
Windows SQL Express 12 could not install and thus VBR9.5 could ***NOT** install neither ...
My Veeam remote assistant (Alex, in Romania, very perseverant and proficient, indeed) explained me that some 'Admin' processes could ***NOT*** be installed on my machine, although we were logged as the main 'Administrator', and that's why SQL Express 12 installation kept failing ... the WS2012R2 core thought installation requests were coming from a regular user instead of an admin !
So, he decided to change the UAC to ***none*** (HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\EnableLUA set to 0) and rebooted the machine.
And voilà, now it works !
That's quite tricky though, coz there is no reason why a ***proper*** admin account could not be granted permissions to install basic stuff like the SQL Server ... but anyway, now it works.
---
... and my confidence in Veeam's ability to sort out weird situations in customers' configurations has increased (hope my painful experience will enrich the Veeam knowledge base) !
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Glad it is resolved now and thanks for sharing the solution details, would be definitely useful for future readers.
mcz
Veeam Legend
Liked: 180 times
Full Name: Michael

Post by mcz » 2 people like this post

alevi7856 wrote:... and my confidence in Veeam's ability to sort out weird situations in customers' configurations has increased (hope my painful experience will enrich the Veeam knowledge base) !
Alain, you can be sure that veeam support is one of the best in the world :D I have created 50+ tickets over the last 2,5 years and was always very very satisfied.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Hi Michael, thank you for your kind words, always appreciated! ;)