Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
jfnk1ng
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Jeremy King

Rerun previous night's Tape job

Post by jfnk1ng »

Hi

We have a couple of disk-to-disk backups configured to run each night, with associated tape jobs that run afterwards to copy the data to tape for offsite. So far so good, but yesterday we omitted to remove Friday's tape and replace it with Monday's. The tape job ran fine and copied the data onto Friday's tape, but we wanted to put it onto Monday's too, to keep the tapes in line with the backup and avoid future confusion.

So I loaded Monday's tape and re-ran the tape job manually, but it said it found no files to back up. The files are still in the repository, of course, but Veeam detected that they had already been backed up and would not do them again.

How would we best achieve what we want to do? It is bound to happen again so would be good to know how to rerun the previous night's tape job successfully.

Thanks
csydas
Expert
Liked: 47 times
Full Name: Harvey Carel

Re: Rerun previous night's Tape job

Post by csydas »

Hey Jeremy,

Would it work for you to just do a one-off File to Tape job and add the files you need?
jfnk1ng
Influencer

Post by jfnk1ng »

Thanks Harvey

I did consider that, but I think it would be better to keep it within the same job - if possible - for ease of management and restore (if needed). Any ideas on how that might be achieved?

I have tried to do a File to Tape job as a test but as far as I can see it only gives me the chance to select files on the local drives on the Veeam server and no access to the repository. I'm sure this is down to something I haven't done, or have done wrong, as it must be possible to backup more than just the server. Can you think what I've missed?

Thanks
Jeremy
csydas
Expert

Post by csydas »

Jeremy,

Totally get that; I'm just a pragmatic guy I guess, and for me something's better than nothing :)

For the repo, how's it presented to Veeam? If it's CIFS/SMB I dunno if Veeam will see it unless the share is mounted as a drive somewhere. I'm not entirely sure either, but I think you can enter in the share path and it'll add for File tape jobs. I haven't done it as I just plain don't like using the Shared Folders, but I know you can do this elsewhere in Veeam for selecting servers, so just assuming you can also do it here.

If it's directly attached storage, then you should be able to pick the Windows/Linux server hosting the storage from the drop down, then just navigate to the storage.

maybe a green poster can help.
jfnk1ng
Influencer

Post by jfnk1ng »

Hi Harvey

No other responders as yet, so I guess the file route it is...

The repo is a CIFS/SMB NAS device. I can map a drive to the share from my Veeam sever, but it doesn't appear on the list of drives to select files from. However I think it is possible to define individual files using the full "\\server\share\backupjob\filename" name.

Makes the process a bit more complex and bespoke, but I guess we are talking about a one-off job from time to time in exceptional circumstances.

Still, if anyone out there does know a way to re-reun the tape backup from within the original job, please chip in.

Thanks
Jeremy
csydas
Expert

Post by csydas »

Jeremy,

I think right now it's by design - Veeam does all its stuff in SQL so as you said, it thinks everything is still there.

Would be a cool feature though.

As for the path, I think you're right, just punch in a UNC path and it'll take it.