Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
adrianr
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Adrian Romano

Lost Veeam Server

Post by adrianr »

Hi guys,
I am currently working on a new setup, and I have to plan for every eventuality that may occur.

For backups I am going to be using Veeam Backup and Replication, and backups will be taken to a USB external drive.

My question is this:

If I lose the Veeam Server (say motherboard fails), I would still have the backups on the external drive. Is there a way for me to restore the data from the external drive. Would backing up the SQL database of Veeam help?

Another question/problem I have is regarding the restore points on disk.

While setting up a backup job, one of the options is the number of restore points to keep on disk. I have set this to 5, however, when I take consecutive backups it keeps creating a new .vib file. I have till now 15 restore points and this number keeps growing. I would've thought that the 6th backup would overwrite the 1st one so that I would have a total of 5 restore points. Could someone please clarify this issue for me!?

Thanks once again!:)

Adrian
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Lost Veeam Server

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Adrian,
adrianr wrote:If I lose the Veeam Server (say motherboard fails), I would still have the backups on the external drive. Is there a way for me to restore the data from the external drive. Would backing up the SQL database of Veeam help?
Just use Import backup functionality to restore VMs to any available point in time. There is no need to backup SQL database unless you're replicating VMs offsite, as without SQL database you will only be able to power replicated VMs to the most recent state with vSphere Client.
adrianr wrote:While setting up a backup job, one of the options is the number of restore points to keep on disk. I have set this to 5, however, when I take consecutive backups it keeps creating a new .vib file. I have till now 15 restore points and this number keeps growing. I would've thought that the 6th backup would overwrite the 1st one so that I would have a total of 5 restore points. Could someone please clarify this issue for me!?
Please review these topics for the answer: v5 Restore Point Bug? and Job Set for 14 Mount Points - 46 exist

Thank you!
briggs
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Alan Thompson

[MERGED] Restore from repository if you lost your Veeam serv

Post by briggs »

Hi,
Not the best wording for the subject line I suppose...
We've come from a great physical server backup product, Arcserve D2D, which is similar in many ways to Veeam. One brilliant feature of the product, is that you can restore data from your D2D backups, even if the server you used to back it up is lost. You can restore anything from any D2D backup, using any server running D2D. There is no database of job logs to rely on, or anything like that, the Repository holds all the info.

With Veeam, we have the dedicated Veeam server (in our case, 1 single Win7 box) doing the backups. The Repository is a NAS box. But say I lost my Veeam server (which obviously can also be backed up, I know) and it wasn't recoverable, can I still restore from the Repository any of my backups?

Thanks, Alan
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Restore from repository if you lost your Veeam server?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Alan,

Yes, absolutely. You can install a new backup server and then import all your backup to run a restore operation. Alternatively, you can use our standalone utility called extract.exe (search our forums for more info on this tool) to restore VMs without install Veeam backup console.

Thanks!
briggs
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Alan Thompson

Post by briggs »

Excellent, thanks for the replies, and appologies for not noticing the other thread with the same question!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Not a problem. Should any other question arise, don’t hesitate to let us know.