Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
EricJ
Influencer
Liked: 4 times

Error when adding failover cluster to backup job

Post by EricJ »

We have two servers in a failover cluster. Prior to the new release of the agent, we were backing up Node 1 via agent and just making sure if the cluster failed to Node 2, we'd switch it back to Node 1 ASAP.

With failover cluster support, this will be nice, since we'll be able to get a good backup every night without caring which node is active.

So, when we add Node 1 to a protection group, the scan finds Node 2 and installs the agent. Good so far.

However, when we try to add the protection group to a backup job, we get this error:

"Unable to process standalone host with failover cluster backup job"

We thought it might be related to the fact that we still had a (disabled) standalone agent job for Node 1, so we deleted that job and also uninstalled the agent from Node 1 - then letting the rescan install it automatically.

Still, we get the same error. What are we doing wrong?

Support Case # is 02456031

Thanks,
Eric
EricJ
Influencer
Liked: 4 times

Re: Error when adding failover cluster to backup job

Post by EricJ » 2 people like this post

It turns out you have to read the directions! :wink:

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95

Turns out you must select the Microsoft Active Directory objects option for failover clusters. We were adding the nodes individually.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi EricJ,

That’s true. Failover cluster job works only with cluster account. To discover such cluster account correctly Veeam B&R must have access to Active Directory, thus Protection Group should contain Active Directory objects.
SRMETAS
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Simon Roggli

Post by SRMETAS »

What is meant with Cluster Account? The Cluster Service runs with Local System account. I have read https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95 several times but i dont get it to work.
Can somenone here explain me excatly what type of accounts and or Computer Objects i have to add to the protection group? My Cluster conists of 2 nodes named n1 and n2 the clustername ist testcl1 and there i have a File Server role named testfs which holds the disks with the data i want to backup. i have added all 4 objects to the protection group and pointed a backup job to this group. Veeam thinks there is nothin to backup
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Simon,

Create a protection group with active directory type, add testcl1 object and rescan the protection group. It should find all the nodes automatically. Then create managed by backup server job with failover cluster type and select the testcl1 as a source for backup.
SRMETAS
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Simon Roggli

Post by SRMETAS »

Thanks Dima but if i do this it says on rescan skipping virtual host testcl1 0 hosts processed 1 object excluded. When finished it shows only testcl1 in the protection group
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Simon,

Open the protection group settings and on the exclusion step uncheck the exclude virtual machines checkbox.